POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Need good smoke Server Time
1 Aug 2024 18:24:59 EDT (-0400)
  Need good smoke (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Donald Hess
Subject: Need good smoke
Date: 10 May 2005 13:50:00
Message: <web.4280f3e482aa08a35b2e4600@news.povray.org>
I'm trying to generate black billowing smoke and white steam coming out of
steam engines.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

~Thanks
~Don

Post a reply to this message

From: Tim Nikias
Subject: Re: Need good smoke
Date: 10 May 2005 14:06:51
Message: <4280f83b$1@news.povray.org>
> I'm trying to generate black billowing smoke and white steam coming out of
> steam engines.  Can someone point me in the right direction?

Depends on what you're after. Some scattering media in a shell would
probably be a good idea, but sometimes a bunch of nicely textured discs
facing the camera work just as well.

In any case, particle system can ease a lot on the modelling process. There
are several particles systems out there, the most famous probably being
Rune's (http://www.runevision.com). I've also scripted two particles
systems, one with and one without frame to frame I/O, so you might want to
have a look at my website (http://www.nolights.de).

Regards,
Tim

--