POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Redistribution Question Server Time
1 Aug 2024 20:07:38 EDT (-0400)
  Redistribution Question (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Dave Matthews
Subject: Redistribution Question
Date: 21 Mar 2005 16:30:00
Message: <web.423f3b0896c6af6c60764f0f0@news.povray.org>
I've read the license agreement, but I'm sometimes (or frequently) dense as
regards legalese, so I want to get the OK from someone on the POV Team
before going ahead with this:

I'm giving a presentation at an upcoming conference of Kindergarten through
Junior College math teachers in Minnesota (I'm guessing most of my audience
will be teachers of grades 9 - 14, as we count them in the States),
demonstrating how to use POVRay to create images and animations for their
classrooms.  Because so many of our participants are at rural schools,
without broadband access, I want to include a CD with POVRay, as well as a
few other applications whose authors' approval I've already obtained, on
it.  This way I can also include a bunch of my own example files and
include files, as well as a page of links to really good tutorials, like
those of Christoph Hormann, Freidrich Lohmueller, and Mike Williams.  I
plan to include a readme file with the following statement (I've excerpted
the important part for POVRay):

"The following software is included on this CD, which is being freely
distributed, and is intended solely for educational, non-commercial
purposes.  I have read the licensing agreements, when available, and have
listed the websites of the sources, below.  No copying or redistribution of
any of the included software should be done without first consulting the
appropriate source and license, available either in the distributed
software, or at the websites listed below.  You should always check the
sources to find the latest versions of the software.  Several licensing

information, so here it is:

Dave Matthews
Minnesota West Community and Technical College
etc. "

These CDs will be given away free, and as I read the POVRay license, this
should fall under 3.1(c) of the distribution license.  Am I right, or am I
misreading something?  Also, am I missing anything that I should say in the
readme?

Again, I just want to double-check to be safe.  If there are problems with
this, I'll just have them download their own copies.

Thanks, and sorry for a question that definitely falls into the R.T.F.L.A.
category.  But if I R.T.F.M. incorrectly, I can tell by the fact that my
scene renders incorrectly or not at all, whereas if I R.T.F.L.A.
incorrectly, there's no way to know that I'm wrong -- until a team of
lawyers comes a-knocking.

Dave Matthews

Post a reply to this message

"Dave Matthews" <dma### [at] wrmnwestmnscuedu> wrote:
> I've read the license agreement, but I'm sometimes (or frequently) dense as
> regards legalese, so I want to get the OK from someone on the POV Team
> before going ahead with this:
>
> I'm giving a presentation at an upcoming conference of Kindergarten through
> Junior College math teachers in Minnesota (I'm guessing most of my audience
> will be teachers of grades 9 - 14, as we count them in the States),
> demonstrating how to use POVRay to create images and animations for their
> classrooms.  Because so many of our participants are at rural schools,
> without broadband access, I want to include a CD with POVRay, as well as a
> few other applications whose authors' approval I've already obtained, on
> it.  This way I can also include a bunch of my own example files and
> include files, as well as a page of links to really good tutorials, like
> those of Christoph Hormann, Freidrich Lohmueller, and Mike Williams.  I
> plan to include a readme file with the following statement (I've excerpted
> the important part for POVRay):
>
> "The following software is included on this CD, which is being freely
> distributed, and is intended solely for educational, non-commercial
> purposes.  I have read the licensing agreements, when available, and have
> listed the websites of the sources, below.  No copying or redistribution of
> any of the included software should be done without first consulting the
> appropriate source and license, available either in the distributed
> software, or at the websites listed below.  You should always check the
> sources to find the latest versions of the software.  Several licensing

> information, so here it is:
>
> Dave Matthews
> Minnesota West Community and Technical College
> etc. "
>
> These CDs will be given away free, and as I read the POVRay license, this
> should fall under 3.1(c) of the distribution license.  Am I right, or am I
> misreading something?  Also, am I missing anything that I should say in the
> readme?
>
> Again, I just want to double-check to be safe.  If there are problems with
> this, I'll just have them download their own copies.
>
> Thanks, and sorry for a question that definitely falls into the R.T.F.L.A.
> category.  But if I R.T.F.M. incorrectly, I can tell by the fact that my
> scene renders incorrectly or not at all, whereas if I R.T.F.L.A.
> incorrectly, there's no way to know that I'm wrong -- until a team of
> lawyers comes a-knocking.
>
> Dave Matthews

Dave,
The POV User License contains the following:

License inquiries can be made via email; please use the following address
(but see below prior to emailing) :

    team-coord-[three-letter month]-[four-digit year]@povray.org

for example, tea### [at] povrayorg should be used if at the time
you send the email it is the month of June 2004. The changing email
addresses are necessary to combat spam and email viruses. Old email
addresses may be deleted at our discretion.

Note that the above address may change for reasons other than that given
above; please check the version of this document on the WWW at
http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html for the current address. Note that your
inability or failure to contact us for any reason is not an excuse for
violating this licence.

Post a reply to this message

> The POV User License contains the following:
>
> License inquiries can be made via email; please use the following address
> (but see below prior to emailing) :
>
>     team-coord-[three-letter month]-[four-digit year]@povray.org
>
> for example, tea### [at] povrayorg should be used if at the time
> you send the email it is the month of June 2004. The changing email
> addresses are necessary to combat spam and email viruses. Old email
> addresses may be deleted at our discretion.
>
> Note that the above address may change for reasons other than that given
> above; please check the version of this document on the WWW at
> http://www.povray.org/povlegal.html for the current address. Note that your
> inability or failure to contact us for any reason is not an excuse for
> violating this licence.

Thanks!  I guess I didn't look at the user license, just the distribution
license.  I'll drop them an e-mail with the same question.

You are a model citizen  ;-)

Dave Matthews