POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : benchmark photon tracker? Server Time
19 May 2024 21:56:14 EDT (-0400)
  benchmark photon tracker? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: nomail
Subject: benchmark photon tracker?
Date: 13 Sep 2004 04:30:00
Message: <web.41455a2cd31d9a9e9c8874ca0@news.povray.org>
Hi,

my problem is slightly off-topic but I guess you're the best people to ask
for help...

I am currently developing a physical simulator for gas transport and surface
chemistry is sub-micron features. At such scales gas-transport is pretty
much collisionless, i.e. particles collide with walls much more often than
with each other -> ballistic particle flux. To my understanding this is -
apart from the nature of particles - identical to photon tracking...?

While my code gives correct results (cross-checked with view factor), I
don't know how fast my tracer is, compared to the state of the art. Now I
have several questions:

1) is Povray capable of photon tracking and, if yes, is it a good benchmark
(=fast)?
2) if yes, is there anyone out in the povray universe, who could help me
setting up the input files - PLEASE!?
3) if not, what is the fastest photon tracker publicly available?

Ah yes, two more things before you all volunteer ;-)  The structures are
closed, except for a small opening -> MANY reflections (several 1e4-1e5).
And is there a way to read in geometries as a list of triangles?

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!!!

Greetings from Bavaria, Georg Icking-Konert

Post a reply to this message