POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Helpers wanted for Project - Software as a Glass Bead Game Server Time
2 Aug 2024 18:13:38 EDT (-0400)
  Helpers wanted for Project - Software as a Glass Bead Game (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: John Carter (Remove caps in my address)
Subject: Helpers wanted for Project - Software as a Glass Bead Game
Date: 5 Aug 2004 18:50:00
Message: <web.4112b865514b7d89a9994300@news.povray.org>
Do you think? Wow! This stuff is really cool! Umm, but what should I do now?

What should I create with it?

Well, I have something worthwhile for you.

I am creating a (open source) tutorial on Software Architecture, "How to
avoid creating Big Ball of Mud" systems.

One of the key ideas in this is to visualize software as a Glass Bead Game.

Here is a quote from the tutorial...
  -----------------------------
I want you to visualize a black table.

On this black table are hundreds of the most beautiful coloured beads,
like translucent glass marbles.

Some are a beautiful glowing blue, some are a dull throbbing red, one
is a deep emerald green.

All these beads are joined together by a tangle of little silver
threads.

Gently pick up the green glass bead.

Looking into its translucent green depths you see a single mystic word
in faintly glowing letters.

It says "main".

From the green bead dangle several firmly attached silver strings that
seem to be pointing away from it.

I need help creating (open source) illustrations for this tutorial. Pretty
simple stuff in a way. Glass beads with writing in them. Silvery strings
between beads either taut or lying slack. Simple Table in a beautiful
setting. Beads in boxes. Beads dangling from strings.

I know a bit of Povray and all the maths needed, but I'm just too time
constrained to create what my vision. It's frustrating.

Anyone want to play with?