POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Re: scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) Server Time
2 Aug 2024 22:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF) (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: William Pokorny
Subject: Re: scene-specific-include-file builder (SSIF)
Date: 21 Jun 2004 11:52:19
Message: <web.40d5d0025097d43b9bf859ff0@news.povray.org>
I am not aware of such a utility. I think it would be useful.

An extension to the idea would be to selectively flatten includes. Often I
find myself trying to understand include based function in POV-ray. I end
up manually flattening the includes so I can understand how something was
implemented. A "flatten T_Chrome_3C >tchr3c.flat" command would be handy.

All pretty easy to implement I think. Finding the time to do it is the
bigger problem.

The answer to 2 is "of course." It is only code as a friend of mine often
says.  However, I would make an argument for the function to be done a
utility shipped as part of the pov-ray package. A utility package shipped
with pov-ray is by itself an interesting idea.

The utility package might contain:
- a program to strip and pack include files.
- a program to search files for a particular declaration.
- a lint like program to flag questionable pov-ray sdl coding practices and
suggest alternatives.
- various format converters.
- ?

It may well be most of these utilities already exists but today you have to
go find them.