POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Performance of Isosurfaces Server Time
4 Aug 2024 02:18:30 EDT (-0400)
  Performance of Isosurfaces (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Paul Khuong
Subject: Performance of Isosurfaces
Date: 13 Jul 2003 18:15:01
Message: <web.3f11d967e9867461c0e4f1850@news.povray.org>
(Wow, returning to the PoV scene after a few years. 3.5 IS OUT!)

Due to various (programming/lazyness-related) reasons, i think i might
output SDL with a LOT of isosurfaces instead of normal objects and CSGs. I
was wondering  what kind of performance hit i could expect for a very
isosurface-heavy scene (extreme possibility: the whole scene is an
isosurface), compared to a more normal way of describing the same scene.

Which brings the following suggestion: Would it be possible to allow PoV to
interface with another executable(DLL/object file, etc) and use that
isntead of an interpreted function? Or does it seem doable to precompile
functions into assembly or a preparsed format instead of reparsing
everything (if that isn't done already)?

Thank you,
 Paul Khuong

Post a reply to this message

On Sun, 13 Jul 2003 18:12:55 EDT, "Paul Khuong" <p v k s p a
m### [at] pvkremoveobviousca> wrote:
> Due to various (programming/lazyness-related) reasons, i think i might
> output SDL with a LOT of isosurfaces instead of normal objects and CSGs. I
> was wondering  what kind of performance hit i could expect for a very
> isosurface-heavy scene (extreme possibility: the whole scene is an
> isosurface), compared to a more normal way of describing the same scene.
>
> Which brings the following suggestion: Would it be possible to allow PoV to
> interface with another executable(DLL/object file, etc) and use that
> isntead of an interpreted function? Or does it seem doable to precompile
> functions into assembly or a preparsed format instead of reparsing
> everything (if that isn't done already)?

If you think about adding DLL just for making CSG via isosurface then look at:
http://www-public.tu-bs.de:8080/~y0013390/pov/ic/ . If you think about adding
DLL support to POV-Ray you can of course do it for yourself since POV sources
are available but please note it is not prefered method of adding functionality
(for various reasons, mainly portability) and it was discussed many times. If
you think about adding some other internal functions, look into sources of
MegaPOV 1.0 for all places marked with F_TRIANGLE_PATCH. Reading
http://megapov.inetart.net/manual/internals.html can be helpful as well.

ABX

Post a reply to this message