POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : managing long renderings Server Time
5 Aug 2024 16:15:09 EDT (-0400)
  managing long renderings (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: GRUMBLE
Subject: managing long renderings
Date: 12 Aug 2002 08:15:06
Message: <web.3d57a61bf8e5e5bcdfb469a80@news.povray.org>
is there a possibility to manage very long time renderings?
i mean, can i pause it somewhere, then shut down the computer and go to
sleep and continue rendering the next day?

and how long was your personal record with still image and with animation?
:-)

thanks.

Post a reply to this message

> is there a possibility to manage very long time renderings?
> i mean, can i pause it somewhere, then shut down the computer and go to
> sleep and continue rendering the next day?

You can stop the render and continue using the '+c' command line option.
This continues the render at the end of the (unfinished) image file. Be
careful with this when using radiosity though.

> and how long was your personal record with still image and with animation?
> :-)

45 days for a still, but in several pieces each ~10 days.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 03 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> You can stop the render and continue using the '+c' command line option.
> This continues the render at the end of the (unfinished) image file. Be
> careful with this when using radiosity though.

  I faintly remember that there might be some problem with this if you are
using png as output image format (or perhaps I just remember wrong).
  To make sure, use some other format before stopping a several-days-long
render (for example tga should be fine).

> and how long was your personal record with still image and with animation?

Post a reply to this message

>i mean, can i pause it somewhere, then shut down the computer and go to
>sleep and continue rendering the next day?

There's a "Resume Previous Render" option in the WinPOV IDE as well as the
command-line option.  Personally, my record was about a day and a half with
a rather simple but long animation.  Is there a reason you can't leave the
computer on all night?

- Kevin R.

GRUMBLE wrote:
>is there a possibility to manage very long time renderings?
>i mean, can i pause it somewhere, then shut down the computer and go to
>sleep and continue rendering the next day?
>
>and how long was your personal record with still image and with animation?
>:-)
>
>thanks.

Post a reply to this message

>There's a "Resume Previous Render" option in the WinPOV IDE as well as the
>command-line option.  Personally, my record was about a day and a half with
>a rather simple but long animation.  Is there a reason you can't leave the
>computer on all night?

yes, i also want to sleep in that room. ;-)
but im gonna try that with the resume previous render.

thanks everyone!

Post a reply to this message

> yes, i also want to sleep in that room. ;-)

Bah!

You get used to it.  My machines are standing two meters from my bed and i
hardly hear them anymore... ;-)

YKYHBRTTL...

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,
Last updated 03 Aug. 2002 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______

Post a reply to this message

> You get used to it.  My machines are standing two meters from my bed and i
> hardly hear them anymore... ;-)
>
> YKYHBRTTL...

... if you wake up in the night because you "felt/knew" the render must
have finished now...  BTDT

Post a reply to this message

> ... if you wake up in the night because you "felt/knew" the render must
> have finished now...  BTDT

... by feeling how the processor is cooling down because it's being idle.

"GRUMBLE" <gru### [at] SPAMgmxat> wrote in message

> yes, i also want to sleep in that room. ;-)
> but im gonna try that with the resume previous render.
>
> thanks everyone!

BTW do test this first with a short render, and I recommend backing up the
partial file before resuming...