POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera Server Time
9 Aug 2024 21:12:47 EDT (-0400)
  Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: Mark Wagner
Subject: Re: Strange behaviour of superellipsoid with orthographic camera
Date: 20 Jun 2000 01:28:58
Message: <394f011a$1@news.povray.org>
J. Grimbert wrote in message <394DAD0A.1161657E@atos-group.com>...
>I am mathematically correct about the need to remove the two lines
>before the return(TRUE) of intersect_box in super.c, but
>this is left as an exercice for the sceptics.

Translation: "I saw the proof once, but I don't remember what it was"

Mark

Post a reply to this message

From: J  Grimbert
Date: 20 Jun 2000 02:34:26
Message: <394F1074.B954C2A6@atos-group.com>
Mark Wagner wrote:

> J. Grimbert wrote in message <394DAD0A.1161657E@atos-group.com>...
> >I am mathematically correct about the need to remove the two lines
> >before the return(TRUE) of intersect_box in super.c, but
> >this is left as an exercice for the sceptics.
>
> Translation: "I saw the proof once, but I don't remember what it was"
>
> Mark

No, but the proof is far too long for a small article and is rather boring.
Moreover, I do not have the code of the function at hand when writing to
the newsgroup (well, I could fetch it from the ftp site, but what do you want,
 a solution to a problem or a long and futile discussion of every cases).

here a hint
 consider every alternative of all the if statements. The question is
 "Is there any case where True is return and in which either *dmax or *dmin
 (or both) were not set to a value inside the function, before the offending
 two lines?"
 The answer is "No" and now I leave the demonstration to Mark Wagner.

Have a nice day.