POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Rendering OpenStreetMap data using POV-Ray Server Time
2 Jul 2024 19:05:01 EDT (-0400)
  Rendering OpenStreetMap data using POV-Ray (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Reuben Pearse
Subject: Rendering OpenStreetMap data using POV-Ray
Date: 2 Mar 2011 16:28:14
Message: <4D6EB66B.6090209@pearse.co.uk>
Hi there,

I've recently been involved in setting up a tile server to create a
custom mapstyle (and associated map tiles) using OpenStreetMap (OSM)
data. Whilst setting this up, I was curious to find out if anyone had
combined OSM and POV-Ray to create an isometric version of OSM data and

http://osm.kyblsoft.cz/3dmapa/?zoom=17&lat=75.75078&lon=14.31372&layers=B

This is a very interesting project and could potentially be used allow
custom statistics to be overlayed/rendered over geographic area in a way
that a 2D view doesn't allow, and many other possibilities....

When setting up standard 2D tiles using OpenStreetMap data, there are
various styles that can be applied to maps (a bit like stylesheets for
webpages) and I would interested to see if anyone could help with making
some more exciting 3D styles for maps created using osm2pov. I
immediately thought of Christoph Hormann's "Views of the Earth" project.

http://earth.imagico.de/main.php

Applying some of the lighting and textures that Christoph used would
certainly create some fantastic map images (I guess you could somehow
use OpenStreetMaps "contours" layer as a heightfield - see
http://hikebikemap.de as an example).

Let me know what you think.

Happy rendering!

Reuben

Download 3D Lego models and other resources from:
http://www.pearse.co.uk/lego

Post a reply to this message