POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Invisible object that accepts shadows? Server Time
8 Aug 2024 16:13:44 EDT (-0400)
  Invisible object that accepts shadows? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Jerry Stratton
Subject: Invisible object that accepts shadows?
Date: 26 Oct 2000 02:21:45
Message: <newsw-7E7CBC.23214525102000@news.povray.org>
Is there any way to use "no_image" with an object but still have it
*accept* (not cast) shadows? Or is there some other way for an object to
basically be invisible except for the shadows cast on it?

Basically I want to be able to have the background color show through,
but have 'drop shadows' from objects, for use on web pages and in
documents.

Jerry
http://www.hoboes.com/jerry/

Post a reply to this message

>Is there any way to use "no_image" with an object but still have it
>*accept* (not cast) shadows? Or is there some other way for an object to
>basically be invisible except for the shadows cast on it?

Try making a plane that is perpendicular to the camera, then give it your
background color, an ambient of 0, and a diffuse of 1000 or so.  This will
give a plane that is your background color over its entire surface except
for where it is shadowed, where it will be completely black.  If you need to
add transparency to the resulting image, add it in an external program.

Mark

Post a reply to this message