POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Macros and # of parameters Server Time
6 Aug 2024 10:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Macros and # of parameters (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Dan Byers
Subject: Macros and # of parameters
Date: 22 Apr 2002 22:27:21
Message: <B8EA307E.BF3C%goofygrafx@aol.com>
The docs don't give any upper limit to the number of parameters that can be
passed, but when I tried to pass 42 parameters (don't ask why), POV-Ray for
DOS puked after the 19th one.  Is it a DOS thing, or is it a POV-Ray thing?
Not a major deal, more of an inconvenience.  Any thoughts, let me know...
thanks :)

--
dan
http://hometown.aol.com/goofygrafx

Post a reply to this message

In article <B8EA307E.BF3C%goo### [at] aolcom> , Dan Byers <goo### [at] aolcom>
wrote:

> The docs don't give any upper limit to the number of parameters that can be
> passed, but when I tried to pass 42 parameters (don't ask why), POV-Ray for
> DOS puked after the 19th one.  Is it a DOS thing, or is it a POV-Ray thing?
> Not a major deal, more of an inconvenience.  Any thoughts, let me know...
> thanks :)

That is the limit in POV-Ray 3.1.  In POV-Ray 3.5 it is 56.

    Thorsten

Thorsten Froehlich
e-mail: mac### [at] povrayorg

I am a member of the POV-Ray Team.

Date: 23 Apr 2002 04:47:43
Message: <ln7acukuhlu2v8b8es434ag8ed1e2s7kok@4ax.com>
On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:26:22 -0500, Dan Byers <goo### [at] aolcom> wrote:
> The docs don't give any upper limit to the number of parameters that can be
> passed, but when I tried to pass 42 parameters (don't ask why), POV-Ray for
> DOS puked after the 19th one.  Is it a DOS thing, or is it a POV-Ray thing?
> Not a major deal, more of an inconvenience.  Any thoughts, let me know...
> thanks :)

Thorsten told you an answer. If you want more parameters you can pass them as
array (when one type), as array of one-ellement arrays when different types.
Of course you can also pass them via global identifiers or via creation of
include file included inside macro. So there is many solutions.

ABX

Post a reply to this message

at abx### [at] babilonorg wrote on 4/23/02 3:47 AM:

> On Mon, 22 Apr 2002 21:26:22 -0500, Dan Byers <goo### [at] aolcom> wrote:
>> The docs don't give any upper limit to the number of parameters that can be
>> passed, but when I tried to pass 42 parameters (don't ask why), POV-Ray for
>> DOS puked after the 19th one.  Is it a DOS thing, or is it a POV-Ray thing?
>> Not a major deal, more of an inconvenience.  Any thoughts, let me know...
>> thanks :)
>
> Thorsten told you an answer. If you want more parameters you can pass them as
> array (when one type), as array of one-ellement arrays when different types.
> Of course you can also pass them via global identifiers or via creation of
> include file included inside macro. So there is many solutions.
>
> ABX

Thanks for your answers, guys.  I used the array to fix it.  My life can
continue now ;)