POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : System crashes with POV-Ray 3.6 Server Time
2 Aug 2024 10:26:42 EDT (-0400)
  System crashes with POV-Ray 3.6 (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Christoph Gerber
Subject: System crashes with POV-Ray 3.6
Date: 13 Dec 2004 14:37:35
Message: <41bdef7f@news.povray.org>
I'm using POV-Ray 3.6 on a PC with a 3.6 GHz Intel P4 with 1 GB physical
memory, Windows XP Home Edition with SP 2 installed. Norton Antivirus is
also installed and active. Since I have this configuration I suffer system
crashes when I do one of the following things:

- Render a very large scene and open Adobe Photoshop LE after completion. If
I use the same software
  without having used POV-Ray before everything works fine.
- If I have statement like #if(HQ=1) in an include file which and render the
main scene and I forgot to
  #declare HQ in that main scene file my system crashes.
- If I have a parse error in an include file the editor doesn't jump to the
include file like it used to
  with POV-Ray 3.5. It just gives the error message and I have to search
where the error is myself.
  There is no crash in this situation but it seems strange beaviour to me.

I know that my report isn't exactly what should be in a bug report but I'm
too much afraid of messing up my whole system to try the critical situations
on purpose. So I just have the simple question if somebody else experienced
similar difficulties with the same system configuration or if I'm the only
one. If this is the case I fear there is something wrong with my PC also I
have the problems only with POV-Ray ...

Any hints appreciated.

Regards, Christoph

Post a reply to this message

> - If I have a parse error in an include file the editor doesn't jump to the
> include file like it used to
>   with POV-Ray 3.5. It just gives the error message and I have to search
> where the error is myself.

AFAIK WinPOV has a menu item to turn this on or off.

> I know that my report isn't exactly what should be in a bug report but I'm
> too much afraid of messing up my whole system to try the critical situations
> on purpose. So I just have the simple question if somebody else experienced
> similar difficulties with the same system configuration or if I'm the only
> one. If this is the case I fear there is something wrong with my PC also I
> have the problems only with POV-Ray ...

What you describe makes it very likely that it is a problem of your
system and not POV-Ray.

Christoph

Last updated 23 Sep. 2004 _____./\/^>_*_<^\/\.______