POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Actual Specular calculations? Server Time
4 Aug 2024 10:22:56 EDT (-0400)
  Actual Specular calculations? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)
From: Tim Nikias v2 0
Subject: Actual Specular calculations?
Date: 11 Jun 2003 12:10:44
Message: <3ee75484@news.povray.org>
I've looked around in the docs, but can't find any
reference to the actual formulae used to derive
the specular effect when using the specular-finish
along with roughness, so perhaps someone might
jump in and explain it to me?

What I'm trying to do (in order to clear up what exactly
I want to know):
Shoot a ray at an object, and from that point shoot
rays to the different light-sources to check for specular
highlights from them (just the way a raytracer does). Now
I know that at certain angles, the highlight is generated,
but I'd like to know the exact angles etc for my pixel-
post-processing script. I don't want to simulate the
raytracing process with that script, but to gather information
on where highlights are occuring, in order to bleed the
bright light across the objects boundaries, just like it
happens in the human eye (or probably any eye, for
that matter).

--
Tim Nikias v2.0
Email: Tim### [at] gmxde