POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : making real dents Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:18:02 EDT (-0400)
  making real dents (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Patrick Dugan
Subject: making real dents
Date: 17 Mar 2002 13:28:48
Message: <3c94e060@news.povray.org>
Is there an easy way to make real dents in a metal texture.  I don't want to
use normals because I want the dents to actually appear to remove/compress
the metal.  In other words along an edge the metal would be missing where
the dent was.

I am making a complex metal structure and would like to create occasional
dents in the metal.  I have a crude way of doing this by creating an object
of 5000 small spheres in the same space as the metal object then doing a
difference.  Needless to say this is very slow to render.  Is there an
easier way to do this?  I would use a clear texture mixed with the metal if
I could figure out a way to make polka-dots/spheres as a texture.

Post a reply to this message