POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : It's alive! Server Time
5 Aug 2024 10:23:11 EDT (-0400)
  It's alive! (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Christopher James Huff
Subject: It's alive!
Date: 23 Oct 2002 19:06:55
Message: <chrishuff-53169C.19005623102002@netplex.aussie.org>
I just got G to successfully compile and run a function!

function scalar main(scalar n, scalar p) {return n*n + p;};

It supports arithmetic, function declarations, and...um, the return
statement. Ok, it needs a little work. ;-)
It does support scalar and vector math, and I'm especially proud of the
expression parser...I'm going to use some of the compiler techniques I
developed while working on it in Sapphire.

The language itself is pretty much as the above line shows. It is
designed to do as much work as possible at compile time, it should run
fairly quickly...faster than Sapphire, anyway, because Sapphire is an
extremely dynamic language while this is almost entirely static. I have
no idea how it'd compare against POV functions, probably quite a bit
slower at the moment. (almost no optimizations are done)

Next: Function calls, flow control, and numeric constants (it doesn't
even understand things like "2+2" yet).

Posted in *.general because this is going to be part of a POV patch, but
is not restricted to POV...

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

In article <chr### [at] netplexaussieorg>,
 Christopher James Huff <chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

> It supports arithmetic, function declarations, and...um, the return
> statement. Ok, it needs a little work. ;-)

It now supports scalar and vector variables, numeric constants, if(),
if()-else, and while() statements. ;-)

http://home.earthlink.net/~cjameshuff/
POV-Ray TAG: chr### [at] tagpovrayorg
http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

> > It supports arithmetic, function declarations, and...um, the return
> > statement. Ok, it needs a little work. ;-)
>
> It now supports scalar and vector variables, numeric constants, if(),
> if()-else, and while() statements. ;-)

So what is this patch exactly? An extension to functions?

 - Slime
[ http://www.slimeland.com/ ]

Post a reply to this message