POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Make rendertime data available to function VM Server Time
28 Mar 2024 04:22:36 EDT (-0400)
  Make rendertime data available to function VM (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: ingo
Subject: Make rendertime data available to function VM
Date: 16 Jan 2019 09:16:49
Message: <XnsA9D99B710E107seed7@news.povray.org>
This is a feature request and a shot in the dark at the same time, as I'm
not realy shure what is available and at what moment in the process it
is, nor what the gain or cost of this would be.

Would it be possible to make some data generated during tracing available
as values or functions or as datapoints in an array so they can be
queried and (ab)used for generation and modification of patterns,
isosurfaces (probably dangerous) etc.

Things I'm thinking of,
origin of the ray
direction of the ray

On intersection,
intersection point
normal
angle of incidence

Less obvious ones,
shadow ray 'intersection' (create a different pattern for the dark side
of the moon)
an indication whether self shadow or from anoter object
reflection? refraction?
light intensity
light source direction(s)
shadow intensity
photon intensity
radiosity data (intensity, colour?) (a pattern modified by radiosity,
radiosity modified by a pattern)

The odd ones,
write bounding boxes to a file (PostGIS, SQLite R*Tree)
document saved radiosity file (so we can fiddle with it)

One of the fun things of POV-Ray is that 'sliders don't stop at one'.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

> This is a feature request and a shot in the dark at the same time, as I'm
> not realy shure what is available and at what moment in the process it
> is, nor what the gain or cost of this would be.

I see where this is coming from and going to - I'll keep it in mind, but
I guess I won't be actively pursuing any of this until I've replaced our
proprietary function VM with something more robust, like llvm.

Post a reply to this message