POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Spherical mapping problem Server Time
5 Aug 2024 08:28:23 EDT (-0400)
  Spherical mapping problem (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Helen
Subject: Spherical mapping problem
Date: 1 Oct 2002 17:11:08
Message: <Xns929B1FDADA63helentrhotmailcom@204.213.191.226>
This is something that worked in the past, but now it doesn't. It might be
something obvious and basic, but for some reason I can't find it.

I was doing some space animations and used a sphere with an image map for
the star background.
Using the usual star textures on the sky sphere made the stars jump too
much between frames.
So I made a png with a pov file - a star texture on a distant plane and
used that as a map.

The image I made was very detailed with a size 1280X960.

This gave stars similar to the sky sphere ones - at least with version 3.1.
Now, the mapped texture that I see is less than 1% of the total image used
as a map (about the amount of stars that would show on a 50X50 square),
with the result that it is highly pixelated. I would think that a texture
mapped onto a sphere would show a much greater percentage (and it did
before).
With interpolate on, the large and few (square) stars just become a little
blurry. I have made a bigger map image 2000X2000 and the image is only
slightly improved. The way this is going, I will only get a similar result
with a 10,000 pixel square image or larger.

I can't clearly remember whether this is definitely a difference between
3.1 and 3.5, or it is something I have changed.

The syntax I use is
---------
sphere
{
  <0, 0, 0>,1
   texture{ pigment {image_map { png "stars.png" map_type 1
    }
    }

} scale 1000000
 hollow on  }
--------
I have a camera moving mainly between -70 and 100 from back to front.
Changing the size of the sphere and removing scaling, or changing the scale
makes no difference.

TIA for any hints.

BTW, the starfield discussion was very interesting, but I was aiming for
something simpler and quicker.

Helen

Post a reply to this message