POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Vector based output? Server Time
7 Aug 2024 11:18:54 EDT (-0400)
  Vector based output? (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Arie L  Stavchansky
Subject: Vector based output?
Date: 17 Oct 2001 14:11:48
Message: <B7F3421F.18DD%arie@andrew.cmu.edu>
I realize that POVRay is meant to render scenes to extreme photorealism, BUT
is there anything out there that allows a scene to render in a "cartoon"
fashion so that you can import that work into something like illustrator?

David Gould's Illustrate! does this, but is for 3DStudioMax.  Also there is
CartoonReyes which is also for 3DStudioMax.

Has anybody thought about this?  Know of any possibilities of it being a new
feature?

Arie

Post a reply to this message

> I realize that POVRay is meant to render scenes to extreme photorealism, BUT
> is there anything out there that allows a scene to render in a "cartoon"
> fashion so that you can import that work into something like illustrator?
>
> David Gould's Illustrate! does this, but is for 3DStudioMax.  Also there is
> CartoonReyes which is also for 3DStudioMax.
>
> Has anybody thought about this?  Know of any possibilities of it being a new
> feature?

Probably not, Povray is a raytracer which per definition generates bitmap
output.  Of course you can try to vectorize the output with an appropriate
program or write a renderer which generates 2d vector output of some kind,
but this has nothing to do with Povray in fact.

Christoph

--
Christoph Hormann <chr### [at] gmxde>

Perhaps the "Cartoon Tut!" from H.E. Day posted 05/24/2000 in
povray.text.tutorials will help you. He uses a postprocess statement of
MegaPov though - I don't know if this made it in Pov 3.5. that gives you no
vectors of course, but you get a cartoony image, which will maybe vecorize
better.

Hth,

Marc-Hendrik

Arie L. Stavchansky schrieb in Nachricht ...
>I realize that POVRay is meant to render scenes to extreme photorealism,
BUT
>is there anything out there that allows a scene to render in a "cartoon"
>fashion so that you can import that work into something like illustrator?
>
>David Gould's Illustrate! does this, but is for 3DStudioMax.  Also there is
>CartoonReyes which is also for 3DStudioMax.
>
>Has anybody thought about this?  Know of any possibilities of it being a
new
>feature?
>
>Arie

Post a reply to this message

"Arie L. Stavchansky" <ari### [at] andrewcmuedu> wrote in message
news:B7F3421F.18DD%ari### [at] andrewcmuedu...
> I realize that POVRay is meant to render scenes to extreme photorealism, BUT
> is there anything out there that allows a scene to render in a "cartoon"
> fashion so that you can import that work into something like illustrator?
>
> David Gould's Illustrate! does this, but is for 3DStudioMax.  Also there is
> CartoonReyes which is also for 3DStudioMax.
>
> Has anybody thought about this?  Know of any possibilities of it being a new
> feature?

You cant' get vector based output, but toon effects can be accomplished with the
slope texture.