POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POV-Ray is free... Server Time
14 Aug 2024 03:19:05 EDT (-0400)
  POV-Ray is free... (Message 1 to 2 of 2)
From: Lance Birch
Subject: POV-Ray is free...
Date: 30 Apr 1998 03:20:09
Message: <6i98oe$csv$1@oz.aussie.org>
I haven't checked these newsgroups for a few days because I was away, but
when I did and saw the message titled "POV-Ray is free... the internet
isn't!" from the povray.org admin team and opened the tread to find a
massive bank of messages, I knew there was something horribly wrong!

I've read the whole tread so far and have a few things to say...

I was thinking that when it came to the new binaries you could host them on
a free site like Fortune City.  This would solve the problem (at least of
that).  When it comes to the rest though, unfortunately, I'm at a loss for
ideas.  If there were anything I could do personally, I would, I really
would, as I'm sure everyone else here would too, but I just don't have the
resources for such a thing.  I love your raytracer (I consider it to be the
best in this region of space-time!!!) and it'd be a shame for the site to be
shut down.

I've never really had the chance to say this to you guys before, but POV-Ray
has been the best thing that's happened to me when it comes to computer
graphics, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you were able to
create such a brilliant program and make it available to anyone who wanted
it.

From the first moment when I saw POV-Ray mentioned in the back of an
instruction book of a piece of 3D software called "3D Workshop" I knew I was
on to a good thing.

It read "POV (Persistence of Vision) can use these files directly to produce
fully ray-traced 24-bit images of astounding detail, providing true
reflections, shadows, refraction, and a multitude of other effect."

This was the start of my graphics life...

Once again, a HUGE "thank you" and I'm sure that someone out there will be
able to come up with some kind of financial base or idea.  Judging on the
following POV-Ray has, I'm sure there will be someone... Definitely...

--
Lance Birch
Lan### [at] tpgicomau

Post a reply to this message

>I've never really had the chance to say this to you guys before, but
POV-Ray
>has been the best thing that's happened to me when it comes to computer
>graphics, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart that you were able to
>create such a brilliant program and make it available to anyone who wanted
>it.
>
>From the first moment when I saw POV-Ray mentioned in the back of an
>instruction book of a piece of 3D software called "3D Workshop" I knew I
was
>on to a good thing.
>
>It read "POV (Persistence of Vision) can use these files directly to
produce
>fully ray-traced 24-bit images of astounding detail, providing true
>reflections, shadows, refraction, and a multitude of other effect."
>
>This was the start of my graphics life...
>
>Once again, a HUGE "thank you" and I'm sure that someone out there will be
>able to come up with some kind of financial base or idea.  Judging on the
>following POV-Ray has, I'm sure there will be someone... Definitely...

---
Alan Grainger
Member of DNRC
E-mail - scy### [at] geocitiescom