POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : #switch #case in function? Server Time
27 Jul 2024 12:17:50 EDT (-0400)
  #switch #case in function? (Message 1 to 10 of 12)
From: Ilya Razmanov
Subject: #switch #case in function?
Date: 16 Jun 2024 06:13:59
Message: <666ebae7$1@news.povray.org>
Yet another stupid question from me: can I use "case" operator withing
function? I can't figure it out.

Details:

I already used functions in my POVmosaic for mapping some object
attributes to source pixel brightness, and surely implemented some
transfer functions. And surely I want map in my img2mesh as well since
sometimes I need some map adjustment. Currently I do it with Photoshop
by editing source PNG heightfield with Photoshop "Curves/Map", saving
resulting PNG, passing through img2mesh, rendering mesh thus obtained,
realizing I need slightly changing map so editing it with Photoshop
"Curves/Map" again etc. etc., so surely I want to transfer map from
Photoshop into POVRay so it works in a non-destructive manner right in
the final scene.

Currently my maps look like this:

//    Map functions
#declare map_1 = function(c) {c}               // Direct input
#declare map_2 = function(c) {1.0 - c}         // Negative input
#declare map_3 = function(c) {pow(c,(1/1.5))}  // Gamma 1.5
#declare map_4 = function(c) {      // Piecewise rescaling example start
     (c < 0.7) * ((c - 0) / (0.7 - 0) * (1 - 0) + 0) +       // rescale
0-0.7 to 0-1
     (c >= 0.7) * ((c - 0.7) / (1 - 0.7) * (0.5 - 1) + 1)    // rescale
0.7-1 to 1-0.5
}  // Piecewise example end

as you can see, map_4 is piecewise, one piece scaling up, another one
scaling with inversion (sorry for all the +0 and -0, I put them to make
things look "generalized" to try to prevent me forgetting what happens
here. I'm still not sure that it doesn't contain errors already, need
more tests), where "piecewise" is achieved by multiplying bools on cases
and then adding all this together. It works but looks silly, and looking
silly increase its chances to make me mess something up.

Is there any more elegant way to do piecewise functions in POVRay? I
know that "if" and "case" exist in some form, but from examples I can
see I don't get whether I can put them within functions, or not.

--
Ilyich the Toad
https://dnyarri.github.io/

Post a reply to this message