POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Did I miss anything? (parent/child texture in CSG) Server Time
13 May 2024 20:32:28 EDT (-0400)
  Did I miss anything? (parent/child texture in CSG) (Message 11 to 12 of 12)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Re: Did I miss anything? (parent/child texture in CSG)
Date: 14 Feb 2024 07:16:50
Message: <65ccaf32$1@news.povray.org>
On 2/13/24 06:32, Bald Eagle wrote:
> I think the document (pdf) is ~4mb, and the zip is 176 kb.
> Perhaps we can find a spot to host the files?   The Wiki?
> A link from the main page?   References?

I have in my head someone already posted copies of the tutorial...

The fastest is probably to post a tarball to povray.binary.tutorials.
And, there they are!

---
Pekka Aho in May 2021:

https://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.tutorials/thread/%3Cweb.609fe84ffb749b2cbac92b0947dba873%40news.povray.org%3E/

---
yesbird, a year ago in February of 2023 created and posted alternate web
sites:

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.tutorials/thread/%3C63f215a6%241%40news.povray.org%3E/

For browsing:
https://povlab.online/isotutorial/

Archived:
https://povlab.online/arc/iso_tut.zip

Source is here:
http://web.archive.org/web/20190728000430/http://www.econym.demon.co.uk/isotut/index.htm
--
YB

(I'll make a note in my local - somewhat hacked up - version of the
examples from that tutorial so hopefully I see it next time I dive in
there for something.)

======
Aside: When I posted the modified version of cylcoords.pov as
cylcoords1.pov a thing that bothered me was the hard coded compensation
scaling for the twist distortion. I'd worked out a formula years ago,
but couldn't remember it (or find it) in the moment. Playing around some
I came up with '(1/Turns)*(1/R2)', which I think was it..? So instead of

-----------------------------------------*
f_helix1(x,z,y, Strands, +Turns, R1, R2, 1, 0.8, -20)

this is likely better:

-----------------------------------------****************
f_helix1(x,z,y, Strands, +Turns, R1, R2, (1/Turns)*(1/R2), 0.8, -20)

Note! The formula works less well with other than spherical / near
spherical base shapes. The base positions also start somewhat twisted
according to the thread, which doesn't matter for a spherical base
shape, but it does to some amount otherwise.

With that formula in place and using a pure sphere base (0.8 --> 1.0),
some might find setting Turns to something like 1/1000 interesting. It's
possible to get quite a few interesting shapes - not helix like - out of
the f_helix1() function!

For fun, another image using the compensation formula.

Bill P.

Post a reply to this message

Attachments:
Download 'cylcoords_canvasa.jpg' (175 KB)

Preview of image 'cylcoords_canvasa.jpg'
cylcoords_canvasa.jpg