POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Sale of POVRay images Server Time
28 Apr 2024 09:53:57 EDT (-0400)
  Sale of POVRay images (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Sale of POVRay images
Date: 4 Nov 2023 11:29:36
Message: <65466360$1@news.povray.org>
Hello,

I came across this site by hazard
:<https://society6.com/product/media-pov-ray-tracing_print>

A lot of POVRay images, even demo scenes, are for sale and the "artist
calcpage" for exemple : <https://society6.com/calcpage/designs>

Is this legal ?

--
Kurtz le pirate
Compagnie de la Banquise

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Miller
Subject: Re: Sale of POVRay images
Date: 4 Nov 2023 12:15:00
Message: <web.65466d2efec98006f22cdb33dabc9342@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I came across this site by hazard
> :<https://society6.com/product/media-pov-ray-tracing_print>
>
> A lot of POVRay images, even demo scenes, are for sale and the "artist
> calcpage" for exemple : <https://society6.com/calcpage/designs>
>

> Is this legal ?
>

> --
> Kurtz le pirate
> Compagnie de la Banquise

Not sure...I guess if the images were posted as public domain there's not much
that can be done. I'm not a lawyer - can't say for sure. ....sucks there's no
credit to the artists.
Miller

Post a reply to this message

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:

> Is this legal ?

For the scenes in the distrubution, I think so:
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

but there should be attribution.

ingo

Post a reply to this message

kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> Hello,
>

> I came across this site by hazard
> :<https://society6.com/product/media-pov-ray-tracing_print>
>
> A lot of POVRay images, even demo scenes, are for sale and the "artist
> calcpage" for exemple : <https://society6.com/calcpage/designs>
>

> Is this legal ?
>

> --
> Kurtz le pirate
> Compagnie de la Banquise

Think I've found the guy behind this: https://shadowfaxrant.blogspot.com/ (Alvar
J Garcia-Fernandez according to his Github)
The Society6 profile is linked in the very long sidebar, he also has a Redbubble
and Zazzle with POV-Ray things on it. If he's not attributing and won't budge
when asked then it's probably possible to report the items to these services.
Pretty sleazy to take a cut from selling other people's hard work with
print-on-demand services honestly.