POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Strange cuts on rendered objects - thread Feb 03, 2020. Update. Server Time
28 Mar 2024 08:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Strange cuts on rendered objects - thread Feb 03, 2020. Update. (Message 1 to 1 of 1)
From: William F Pokorny
Subject: Strange cuts on rendered objects - thread Feb 03, 2020. Update.
Date: 7 Feb 2022 19:34:57
Message: <6201bab1$1@news.povray.org>
A followup.

Two years ago there was a "Strange cuts on rendered objects" thread in
this forum, where the objects were satellites in orbit as view from the
surface.

Reference:

Message: <web.5e38381eb3cfd5d4c30604810@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.general/thread/%3Cweb.5e38381eb3cfd5d4c30604810%40news.povray.org%3E/

At the time, the work around employed was povr's -mb v3.6 restoration
fix. A working -mb bypassed all object bounding and depended instead on
the mesh's internal bounding.

The original problem was thought to be due the use of floats over
doubles in our bounding code - especially given the large scene dimensions.

I've confirmed using doubles for bounding fixes the original numerical
accuracy issue for both bounding methods 1 & 2. The current povr branch
code has moved bounding to doubles(a).

(a) Using all doubles for performance more than accuracy (related to
Github issue #363).

Aside: We have still have an issue where older, pre server crash, news
articles are not on the news server. Access via thunderbird is then
impossible. Hence, the brand new thread for the followup.

Bill P.