POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : chr(0) problem Server Time
6 Aug 2024 18:20:43 EDT (-0400)
  chr(0) problem (Message 15 to 24 of 24)
From: Christoph Hormann
Subject: Re: chr(0) problem
Date: 28 Feb 2002 10:46:34
Message: <3C7E50DA.A9B7F6F4@gmx.de>
Gleb wrote:

> Do you really mean that storage device drivers are more complex in access
> than display ones?

This does not have anything to do with device drivers.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

From: Warp
Date: 28 Feb 2002 10:52:23
Message: <3c7e5236@news.povray.org>
> Portability is the main concern.  As soon as writing binaries includes
> more than just writing single bytes the behaviour will be strongly
> platform dependant.

  But writing bytes is all one needs.

From: Gleb
Date: 28 Feb 2002 11:09:54
Message: <3c7e5652@news.povray.org>

> Gleb wrote:
> >
> > Do you really mean that storage device drivers are more complex in
access
> > than display ones?
> >

> This does not have anything to do with device drivers.

Same question: :is graphic portability more complex thing? Sorry, if the
question looks stupid and/or has well-known

answer. I just want to get the real reason.

Post a reply to this message

> > This does not have anything to do with device drivers.
>
> Same question: :is graphic portability more complex thing? Sorry, if the
> question looks stupid and/or has well-known
>
> answer. I just want to get the real reason.

There is no graphics output in Povray, only some versions call API
functions of the OS to display the render in the platform specific code.
This has nothing to do with the rendering program itself.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

> There is no graphics output in Povray, only some versions call API
> functions of the OS to display the render in the platform specific code.
> This has nothing to do with the rendering program itself.

This is exactly what I mean: there is no graphics in Povray, but there is
somehow binary images output
 and and input, isn't it?

Post a reply to this message

From: Christoph Hormann
Date: 28 Feb 2002 11:52:36
Message: <3C7E6052.BB0F78AB@gmx.de>
Gleb wrote:

> > There is no graphics output in Povray, only some versions call API
> > functions of the OS to display the render in the platform specific code.
> > This has nothing to do with the rendering program itself.
> >
> This is exactly what I mean: there is no graphics in Povray, but there is
> somehow binary images output
>  and and input, isn't it?

Yes, but this is platform independant due to precautions in the image file
format definitions.  Simply writing your floats and vectors to a file as
binary with some IO functions would be different.

Christoph

--
POV-Ray tutorials, IsoWood include,

From: Christopher James Huff
Date: 28 Feb 2002 11:58:07
Message: <chrishuff-09342C.11580228022002@netplex.aussie.org>
In article <3c7e5652@news.povray.org>, "Gleb" <gk1### [at] sotonacuk> wrote:

> Same question: :is graphic portability more complex thing? Sorry, if
> the question looks stupid and/or has well-known answer. I just want
> to get the real reason.

Graphics are completely platform dependant...the only standard interface
is for unstyled text. There is no standard way of drawing a pixel on the
screen, these facilities are provided by the operating system.
There *are* standard interfaces for writing binary files, but there is
no guarantee that a binary file will be readable on platforms other than
the one it was created on. The only way to guarantee that is to write
things byte by byte, so the exact order and format of the data is known.
The POV language isn't really capable of handling this right now...it'd
probably require reworking the file I/O syntax, and because of the
simplifications required by the POV language, it probably wouldn't be
useful for interacting with other programs.

TAG web site: http://tag.povray.org/

Post a reply to this message

From: Gleb
Date: 28 Feb 2002 12:03:12
Message: <3c7e62d0$1@news.povray.org>

> Gleb wrote:
> >
> > > There is no graphics output in Povray, only some versions call API
> > > functions of the OS to display the render in the platform specific
code.
> > > This has nothing to do with the rendering program itself.
> > >
> > This is exactly what I mean: there is no graphics in Povray, but there
is
> > somehow binary images output
> >  and and input, isn't it?
>
> Yes, but this is platform independant due to precautions in the image file
> format definitions.  Simply writing your floats and vectors to a file as
> binary with some IO functions would be different.

OK, thank you, the reason is much clear now. Format of floats is really
platform dependent,

but byte strings i/o would be enough in this case, and it is almost there
already.

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Date: 28 Feb 2002 12:08:28
Message: <3c7e640c@news.povray.org>

<snip>

Am I right that this issue is about limiting the portability of scripts, rather
than the pov-application?

Post a reply to this message

From: Tom Melly
Date: 28 Feb 2002 12:10:28
Message: <3c7e6484$1@news.povray.org>
"Tom Melly" <tom### [at] tomandlucouk> wrote in message

> Am I right that this issue is about limiting the portability of scripts,
rather
> than the pov-application?

or, more accurately, the portability of the binary output of scripts...