POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:43:25 EDT (-0400)
  POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today (Message 1 to 10 of 11)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: POVRAY.ORG is 25 years old today
Date: 18 Aug 2019 09:22:44
Message: <5d595124$1@news.povray.org>
It was 25 years ago today (18 August 1994) that I registered the
POVRAY.ORG domain. While the project had a presence on the internet
prior to this, the 18th was the beginning of having our 'own place' - a
permanent somewhere that wasn't just a sub-directory or forum on someone
else's server.

Having a domain dedicated to a free software project wasn't nearly as
common back then as it is today (nor as easy to set up; options for
hosting were very limited) and has allowed us to provide a stable
location and email addresses for the project for a quarter of a century now.

I noticed this was coming up when I went to renew the domain recently.
While of course it's no big deal in the scheme of things that it's
turned 25, it has made me think a little about the early days.

(And who knows, maybe there's even some users here that weren't born
when povray.org popped into existence ...).

Post a reply to this message