POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Text flow, paragraphs, etc. Server Time: 22 Jul 2019 22:40:49 GMT
  Text flow, paragraphs, etc. (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Text flow, paragraphs, etc.
Date: 22 Jun 2019 04:42:27
Message: <5d0db1b3$1@news.povray.org>
Has anyone here devised a method to write properly flowing text
including lines that wrap inside containers, line breaks, etc.?

Thanks.

Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Text flow, paragraphs, etc.
Date: 22 Jun 2019 05:30:23
Message: <5d0dbcef$1@news.povray.org>
Le 22/06/2019 à 06:42, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> Has anyone here devised a method to write properly flowing text
> including lines that wrap inside containers, line breaks, etc.?
>
> Thanks.
>

> Michael

As a patch, in hgpovray38,
http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/galley

You can probably make a macro for the same purpose when using a
monospaced font, but doing such things for an usual font is going to be
hard: you would need to create every pair of consecutive letters (to get
the kerning), measure, put the letter in the current line and repeat.

What is in your "etc." ?

Post a reply to this message

On 6/22/2019 1:30 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> As a patch, in hgpovray38,
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/User:Le_Forgeron/galley

Thanks!

> You can probably make a macro for the same purpose when using a
> monospaced font, but doing such things for an usual font is going to be
> hard: you would need to create every pair of consecutive letters (to get
> the kerning), measure, put the letter in the current line and repeat.

Does "internal" keyword mean that the kerning has been pre-calculated?

> What is in your "etc." ?

Tab characters I guess. I can't think of anything else at the moment.

Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Date: 22 Jun 2019 09:06:45
Message: <5d0defa5$1@news.povray.org>
On 6/22/2019 5:01 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> On 6/22/2019 1:30 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>> You can probably make a macro for the same purpose when using a
>> monospaced font, but doing such things for an usual font is going to be
>> hard: you would need to create every pair of consecutive letters (to get
>> the kerning), measure, put the letter in the current line and repeat.
>>
> Does "internal" keyword mean that the kerning has been pre-calculated?

Sorry, I mean, does it represent the internal number of a font whose

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 22 Jun 2019 16:42:48
Message: <5d0e5a88@news.povray.org>
Le 22/06/2019 à 11:06, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> On 6/22/2019 5:01 AM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> On 6/22/2019 1:30 AM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
>>> You can probably make a macro for the same purpose when using a
>>> monospaced font, but doing such things for an usual font is going to be
>>> hard: you would need to create every pair of consecutive letters (to get
>>> the kerning), measure, put the letter in the current line and repeat.
>>>
>> Does "internal" keyword mean that the kerning has been pre-calculated?
>>

> Sorry, I mean, does it represent the internal number of a font whose
> kerning has been pre-calculated?

No, it is the same as for text{} object, an embedded font.

The kerning is a table, potentially large, indexed by pair of chars (the
one before and the one you want), in the TTF file (or embedded in internal).

it modify the current character metrics for its placement.
When a pair is not found, the metrics of the current character are
unmodified.

Typical kerning is for pair like "VA" & "AV" where the space between the
two letters should be different (smaller) from "AMV" and "VMA", from the
aesthetic point of view.