POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Inverse sphere? Server Time
29 Mar 2024 05:41:34 EDT (-0400)
  Inverse sphere? (Message 1 to 6 of 6)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Inverse sphere?
Date: 28 May 2019 14:52:39
Message: <5ced8377$1@news.povray.org>
This tutorial about radiosity:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_radiosity#Step_5:_Find_Your_Error_Bound

says:

 > Sometimes radiosity can cause artifacts, one of the most common
causes of artifacts is infinite radiosity rays. A good rule is to place
any radiosity scene inside a large inverse sphere to avoid any ray
colliding with the background or sky_sphere.

What is an inverse sphere? And how is it useful/beneficial in this
situation? Thanks.

Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Inverse sphere?
Date: 28 May 2019 14:56:56
Message: <5ced8478$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/28/2019 2:52 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> This tutorial about radiosity:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_radiosity#Step_5:_Find_Your_Error_Bound
>

> says:
>
>  > Sometimes radiosity can cause artifacts, one of the most common
> causes of artifacts is infinite radiosity rays. A good rule is to place
> any radiosity scene inside a large inverse sphere to avoid any ray
> colliding with the background or sky_sphere.
>
> What is an inverse sphere? And how is it useful/beneficial in this
> situation? Thanks.
>

> Michael

Oops! That link should be:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_radiosity#Artifacts

Michael

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 May 2019 16:50:01
Message: <web.5ced9de9603a316d4eec112d0@news.povray.org>

> What is an inverse sphere?

It's a spherical cavity inside the [solid] infinite POV-Ray space.

A solid sphere's inverse.

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Date: 29 May 2019 01:48:18
Message: <5cee1d22$1@news.povray.org>
Le 28/05/2019 à 22:45, Bald Eagle a écrit :

> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>
>> What is an inverse sphere?
>
> It's a spherical cavity inside the [solid] infinite POV-Ray space.
>
> A solid sphere's inverse.

and for the code oriented, it looks like:

sphere { 0, 1e+5 inverse  ...

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 May 2019 02:33:28
Message: <5cee27b8$1@news.povray.org>
On 29-5-2019 7:48, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 28/05/2019 à 22:45, Bald Eagle a écrit :
>>
>> Mike Horvath <mik### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
>>
>>> What is an inverse sphere?
>>
>> It's a spherical cavity inside the [solid] infinite POV-Ray space.
>>
>> A solid sphere's inverse.
>>

> and for the code oriented, it looks like:
>
> sphere { 0, 1e+5 inverse  ...

alternatively, although less elegant: sphere {0, 1e+5 hollow ...}  gives
the same result.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 30 May 2019 11:34:18
Message: <5ceff7fa$1@news.povray.org>
Le 19-05-28 à 14:52, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> This tutorial about radiosity:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/HowTo:Use_radiosity#Step_5:_Find_Your_Error_Bound
>

> says:
>
>  > Sometimes radiosity can cause artifacts, one of the most common
> causes of artifacts is infinite radiosity rays. A good rule is to place
> any radiosity scene inside a large inverse sphere to avoid any ray
> colliding with the background or sky_sphere.
>
> What is an inverse sphere? And how is it useful/beneficial in this
> situation? Thanks.
>

> Michael

It can be a sphere with the «inverse» attribute, or a sphere with the
hollow attribute.

The use of inverse or hollow is to allow the use of fog and media.

In my experience, I have never encountered any case where infinite rays
have caused any artifacts.

My guess is it's a leftover from the early radiosity implementation that
still had a max_distance setting that imposed a cutoff distance when
testing for radiosity samples.