POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Map of Earth Server Time
28 Mar 2024 09:28:16 EDT (-0400)
  Map of Earth (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Map of Earth
Date: 17 Jul 2018 12:16:20
Message: <5b4e1654$1@news.povray.org>
Can anyone recommend a good map of Earth that I can wrap around a
sphere? It should not be photorealistic, but rather be a monochromatic
political map like some of these:

https://www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/world-map?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=illustration&phrase=world%20map

Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Re: Map of Earth
Date: 17 Jul 2018 12:20:28
Message: <5b4e174c$1@news.povray.org>
Here's another nice example:

https://www.jasondavies.com/maps/rotate/

Not sure if a bitmap image can be extracted from it.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Le 17/07/2018 à 18:17, Mike Horvath a écrit :
> Can anyone recommend a good map of Earth that I can wrap around a
> sphere? It should not be photorealistic, but rather be a monochromatic
> political map like some of these:

https://www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/world-map?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=illustration&phrase=world%20map

> Thanks.

Yes, I just recently searched such map.

The projection to use is type 1,

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BlankMap-FlatWorld6.svg

The notes on that page say that the Robinson projection was used. Would
equirectangular projection be better?

Mike

On 7/17/2018 2:15 PM, Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 17/07/2018 à 18:17, Mike Horvath a écrit :
>> Can anyone recommend a good map of Earth that I can wrap around a
>> sphere? It should not be photorealistic, but rather be a monochromatic
>> political map like some of these:

https://www.istockphoto.com/illustrations/world-map?excludenudity=true&sort=mostpopular&mediatype=illustration&phrase=world%20map

>> Thanks.
>
> Yes, I just recently searched such map.
>
> The projection to use is type 1,
>
> https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:BlankMap-FlatWorld6.svg
>
>  From that page you can download classical bitmap (png) and be happy.

Post a reply to this message

I went ahead and created this one instead.

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:World_map_nations_mono.svg

Mike