POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : ONE MORE FEATURE REQUEST: No Image Overwrite Server Time
18 Apr 2024 03:49:18 EDT (-0400)
  ONE MORE FEATURE REQUEST: No Image Overwrite (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: ONE MORE FEATURE REQUEST: No Image Overwrite
Date: 18 Jun 2018 06:00:08
Message: <5b2782a8$1@news.povray.org>
In case it doesn't exist yet:

A switch that prevents POV-Ray to overwrite an existing scene image with
a new one. Instead, POV-Ray would attach a dash and a number to the
image name and create that way a new image.  Also checking if that
particular image number exists already, then simply incrementing the
highest found image number by one. This way, the various renders of the
same scene will create over time a series of images, not losing the
existing ones.

This switch would save me (and many others) the additional work of
having first to rename an existing scene image before rendering the same
scene again. Great also for comparisons.

---
http://www.avg.com

Post a reply to this message

Sven Littkowski <I### [at] SvenLittkowskiname> wrote:
> In case it doesn't exist yet:
> A switch that prevents POV-Ray to overwrite an existing scene image with
> a new one. Instead, POV-Ray would attach a dash and a number to the
> image name and create that way a new image.  Also checking if that
> particular image number exists already, then simply incrementing the
> highest found image number by one. This way, the various renders of the
> same scene will create over time a series of images, not losing the
> existing ones.

iiuc, you can already do this.

see section 3.2.6 of the docs, the 'Post_*_Command's.

you know your scene's file name and have access to the frame number,
so writing a batch file to do the copy should be trivial.

> This switch would save me (and many others) the additional work of
> having first to rename an existing scene image before rendering the same
> scene again. Great also for comparisons.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message