POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : camera "angle" Server Time
20 Apr 2024 09:12:55 EDT (-0400)
  camera "angle" (Message 1 to 8 of 8)
From: dick balaska
Subject: camera "angle"
Date: 9 Apr 2018 15:28:21
Message: <5acbbed5$1@news.povray.org>
Ahoy,

Re:
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Camera

I'm trying to zoom in on my SpaceLoco as he flies away.  The angle
option to the camera does exactly what I want.  I say "angle 20" and it
is beautifully zoomed.  But I don't know why I'm saying angle 20.
I want to know what the "default" angle is.  I'm stuck trying to solve
for angle.  Doc says:

direction_length = 0.5 * right_length / tan(angle / 2)

So:
1 = 0.5 * right_length / tan(angle/2)
1 = 0.5 * 1.69 / tan(angle/2)
1 = 0.845 / tan(angle/2)
tan(angle/2) = 0.845

and then I'm stuck. I don't know how to extract that /2 so that I can
take the arctan.

The answer I'm looking for is 82ish. :)

I looked at screen.inc.  It allows me to Set_Camera_Angle() using the
direction vector (which the doc says is the old/hard way) but there is
no Get_Camera_Angle().

--
dik
Rendered 328976 of 330000 (99%)

Post a reply to this message

dick balaska <dic### [at] buckosoftcom> wrote:

> I want to know what the "default" angle is.  I'm stuck trying to solve
> for angle.  Doc says:
>
> direction_length = 0.5 * right_length / tan(angle / 2)
>
> So:
> 1 = 0.5 * right_length / tan(angle/2)
> 1 = 0.5 * 1.69 / tan(angle/2)
> 1 = 0.845 / tan(angle/2)
> tan(angle/2) = 0.845

Have a look at:
http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.587ce3fc782d1af2c437ac910%40news.povray.org%3E/?mtop=415328
&moff=8

If that doesn't help you out, maybe I'll have a chance to give you my snippet of
code for the view frustum.

Post a reply to this message