POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Procedural realistic mountain ranges? Server Time
18 Apr 2024 23:03:04 EDT (-0400)
  Procedural realistic mountain ranges? (Message 1 to 10 of 35)
From: Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann
Subject: Procedural realistic mountain ranges?
Date: 27 Dec 2017 07:08:07
Message: <5a438d27@news.povray.org>
Hi(gh)!

Resuming my "Whatmough" planet project from 2011, I would like to know
if is possible to create realistic mountain ranges (on a continental
scale) with believable drainage patterns using procedural functions. I
tried ridged_mf(), but got nothing even remotely resembling this.

Another (but very time-consuming) approach would be "painting"
topography manually, using 16-bit grayscale PNG heightfields. Are there
any heightfield editors for this bit depth around?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

=?UTF-8?Q?J=c3=b6rg_=22Yadgar=22_Bleimann?= <yaz### [at] gmxde> wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Resuming my "Whatmough" planet project from 2011, I would like to know
> if is possible to create realistic mountain ranges (on a continental
> scale) with believable drainage patterns using procedural functions. I
> tried ridged_mf(), but got nothing even remotely resembling this.
>
> Another (but very time-consuming) approach would be "painting"
> topography manually, using 16-bit grayscale PNG heightfields. Are there
> any heightfield editors for this bit depth around?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

As a last resort:
I have 3 programs at my site that helps make height fields and place objects on
them. They where All wrote for my old Win98, but they run on my new WinXP.
The first program lets you use contour lines to make a height field image in
tga(8bit) or ppm(16bit). The next one lets you rough up images made by the
first.
The last one Lets you place things on a height field made by using the Image
from the first two.
I'm here at https://leroyspovstuff.yolasite.com/

Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

On 27-12-2017 13:08, Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann wrote:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Resuming my "Whatmough" planet project from 2011, I would like to know
> if is possible to create realistic mountain ranges (on a continental
> scale) with believable drainage patterns using procedural functions. I
> tried ridged_mf(), but got nothing even remotely resembling this.
>
> Another (but very time-consuming) approach would be "painting"
> topography manually, using 16-bit grayscale PNG heightfields. Are there
> any heightfield editors for this bit depth around?
>
> See you in Khyberspace!
>
> Yadgar

A long time dream indeed. Third party programs approach that dream;
alas, the better ones are not free.

I own GeoControl, which has been succeeded by World Creator from the
same makers. As far as I know, it is one of the best programs for a
reasonable price. http://www.bitethebytes.net/bitethebytes/

L3DT is another one - which I never tried - but with a free version.
http://www.bundysoft.com/L3DT/downloads/standard.php

And then there are:
http://planetgenesis.sourceforge.net/ (free)
http://www.daylongraphics.com/ (not free)
http://www.cyberfunks.de/page/terrabrush/index.htm (free)
http://planetside.co.uk/ (free)
http://www.fracterra.com/wilbur.html (free)
http://www.world-machine.com/index.php (not free)

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

> I have 3 programs at my site that helps make height fields and place objects on
> them. They where All wrote for my old Win98, but they run on my new WinXP.

"new WinXP"???

Ouch.

Post a reply to this message

>> I have 3 programs at my site that helps make height fields and place objects on
>> them. They where All wrote for my old Win98, but they run on my new WinXP.
>
> "new WinXP"???
>
> Ouch.

Some people keep things that work.
Going from Leroy's site. It was new in 2006

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

> I have 3 programs at my site that helps make height fields and place objects on
> them. They where All wrote for my old Win98, but they run on my new WinXP.
> The first program lets you use contour lines to make a height field image in
> tga(8bit) or ppm(16bit). The next one lets you rough up images made by the
> first.
> The last one Lets you place things on a height field made by using the Image
> from the first two.
> I'm here at https://leroyspovstuff.yolasite.com/

Not really useful, at least not in its current development stage - no
zoom view and therefore no chance to exactly place the cursor. Perhaps
it is because I used Windows 7 rather than XP, I don't know...

The fine editor (the second program) is not even downloadable at all!

Nevertheless, thanks for your tip!

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

Am 27.12.2017 um 13:08 schrieb Jörg "Yadgar" Bleimann:
> Hi(gh)!
>
> Resuming my "Whatmough" planet project from 2011, I would like to know
> if is possible to create realistic mountain ranges (on a continental
> scale) with believable drainage patterns using procedural functions. I
> tried ridged_mf(), but got nothing even remotely resembling this.
>
> Another (but very time-consuming) approach would be "painting"
> topography manually, using 16-bit grayscale PNG heightfields. Are there
> any heightfield editors for this bit depth around?

I forgot to mention that I use either Windows XP Professional (32-bit),
Windows 7 64-bit Professional or Debian Linux 8.9, so that software
exclusively written for Windows 8 or newer unfortunately would be of no
use to me.

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message