POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Illegal escape sequence in string? Server Time
24 Apr 2024 20:27:05 EDT (-0400)
  Illegal escape sequence in string? (Message 11 to 20 of 20)
From: clipka
Subject: Re: Illegal escape sequence in string?
Date: 4 Dec 2017 10:12:35
Message: <5a2565e3$1@news.povray.org>
Am 04.12.2017 um 09:30 schrieb dick balaska:
> On 12/03/2017 09:24 PM, Bald Eagle wrote:
>
>> I'd also strongly advise using more parser-friendly filenames - the
>> dashes and
>> spaces seem a bit iffy to me.
>>
>> #usingContiguousCamelCaseFilenamesIsPreferable
>>

> Spaces in file names are evil.

No, not at all.

What's evil is Unix shell script writers who forget that spaces are
perfectly legal characters in file names.

Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Date: 4 Dec 2017 12:08:43
Message: <5a25811b@news.povray.org>
Le 17-12-04 à 10:10, clipka a écrit :
> Am 04.12.2017 um 09:28 schrieb Kenneth:
>> "Bald Eagle" <cre### [at] netscapenet> wrote:
>>> use forward slashes for filenames.
>>>
>>> png "C:/Users/Sven Littkowski/Downloads/Images/POV-Ray Textures/SL - Cloud
>>> Cities - Habitat - Heightfield.png" // the string is in one line
>>>

>> But it's interesing that Windows itself uses back slashes for file locations.
>
> Actually, Windows itself is fine with both forward and back slashes.
>
> (There are a few minor issues with certain command shell (cmd.exe)
> commands, but IIRC most of those go away if the file name is placed in
> quotes.)

There will be isues if the / is preceded by a space. In that case, it's
assumed to be a switch/option indicator.

Post a reply to this message