POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Commercial project using POVRay Server Time
29 Mar 2024 07:04:51 EDT (-0400)
  Commercial project using POVRay (Message 11 to 17 of 17)
From: Alain
Subject: Re: Commercial project using POVRay
Date: 23 Nov 2017 15:28:16
Message: <5a172f60$1@news.povray.org>
Le 17-11-23 à 04:59, David Buck a écrit :
> I know that this group is for discussions of POVRay and not a forum for
> promoting commercial products.  I have a case which covers both so I
> thought I'd ask the group for opinions before posting the details.
>
> Basically, I've developed a game for Android and iOS devices and the
> graphics for the game were all rendered using POVRay.  If people here
> feel that it's permissible, I would like to post a short description of
> the game with a screenshot posted in povray.binaries.images.
>
> If the consensus is that you'd feel spammed, I'd be happy to abide by
> your wishes and not post anything here about the game (besides this
> message).
>
> What do you think?  What constitutes acceptable speech in this forum?  I
> could simply post an image to p.b.images (which doesn't contain the
> product name) if that's an option.  I don't know quite how to handle
> this so I'm looking for some opinions.
>
> Thanks,
> David Buck

You're not the first to use POV Ray to generate images for a game, and
won't be the last.
Others have done exactly what you are asking in the past.

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 23 Nov 2017 18:31:03
Message: <5a175a37$1@news.povray.org>
On 23/11/2017 16:56, David Buck wrote:
> On 2017-11-23 11:15 AM, Stephen wrote:
>> On 23/11/2017 15:57, David Buck wrote:
>>> Some 15 years ago
>>
>> There were some stroppy people around then. Now we are all older and
>> more tolerant. ;-)
>>
>> BTW I noticed that you write POVRay, I write it as PovRay and the
>> program itself is titled POV-Ray. I've always wondered if anyone gets
>> irked at the different spellings.
>>

> I should be spelling it POV-Ray.

So should I but I'm lazy. ;-)

>In the early days, there was some
> discussion of the spelling.  I remembered that some people were calling
> it PVRay.  I believe my original proposal was STAR.

Ad astra would have been good. :-)

> I'm glad that
> POV-Ray was chosen because it's much more Google friendly.

In league with the Devil, then. :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Nov 2017 02:59:02
Message: <5a17d146$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-11-2017 21:00, Jim Henderson wrote:
> On Thu, 23 Nov 2017 16:15:55 +0000, Stephen wrote:
>
>> There were some stroppy people around then. Now we are all older and
>> more tolerant. ;-)
>
> Absolutely! :D

[hitting hearing aid repeatedly]
What's that!?

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: Bill Pragnell
Date: 24 Nov 2017 18:15:01
Message: <web.5a18a6a9c19842191b6c6b3a0@news.povray.org>
David Buck <dav### [at] simberoncom> wrote:
> On 2017-11-23 11:15 AM, Stephen wrote:
> > BTW I noticed that you write POVRay, I write it as PovRay and the
> > program itself is titled POV-Ray. I've always wondered if anyone gets
> > irked at the different spellings.
>

> I should be spelling it POV-Ray.  In the early days, there was some
> discussion of the spelling.  I remembered that some people were calling
> it PVRay.

Wow, that rekindles an old memory. The first time I ever used POV-Ray was a
version ported to RISCOS on the old Acorn computers - called PVRay. It would
have been early 90s I think. There were several free raytracers doing the rounds
at the time, and the old PVRay was by far the most capable :)

Within a year or so of that, someone ported and distributed v3.0, which then had
the extra 'o'...

Bill

Post a reply to this message

> There were some stroppy people around then. Now we are all older and
> more tolerant. ;-)

Ah yes, I remember the sometimes-brutal 'verbal jousting' of years past. I was
finally able to take off my hard-shelled armor... ;-)  (Or maybe I simply grew a
thicker skin!)

I agree with everyone else here: David Buck can post *ANYTHING* to the
newsgroups.

Post a reply to this message

> You're not the first to use POV Ray to generate images for a game, and
> won't be the last.
> Others have done exactly what you are asking in the past.

Here are my attempts:

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/96881-datsville-rpg/

http://isometricland.net/pics/gearhead/gh_1.100mh_screen_04.fs.png

(Two different unrelated projects.)