POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Let Me Render That For You Server Time: 18 Jun 2019 06:46:50 GMT
  Let Me Render That For You (Message 1 to 10 of 10)  
From: clipka
Subject: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 10:53:47
Message: <5a0190bb$1@news.povray.org>
Hi folks,

it's late autumn over here, central heating isn't working properly, and
I consider electric heaters a waste of money... unless they produce
POV-Ray images as a byproduct.

So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
-- here's a computer that needs to render some POV-Ray frames to keep my
feet warm ;)


(Until then, I guess I'll try to get that warm and cozy feeling by doing
some cancer research for the WCG.)


Post a reply to this message

From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 11:22:33
Message: <5a019779$1@news.povray.org>
On 11/7/2017 5:53 AM, clipka wrote:
> Hi folks,
> 
> it's late autumn over here, central heating isn't working properly, and
> I consider electric heaters a waste of money... unless they produce
> POV-Ray images as a byproduct.
> 
> So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
> project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
> -- here's a computer that needs to render some POV-Ray frames to keep my
> feet warm ;)
> 
> 
> (Until then, I guess I'll try to get that warm and cozy feeling by doing
> some cancer research for the WCG.)
> 

sounds boring ... perhaps you should consider watching paint dry ;-)


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 11:42:07
Message: <5a019c0f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.11.2017 um 12:22 schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 11/7/2017 5:53 AM, clipka wrote:
>> Hi folks,
>>
>> it's late autumn over here, central heating isn't working properly, and
>> I consider electric heaters a waste of money... unless they produce
>> POV-Ray images as a byproduct.
>>
>> So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
>> project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
>> -- here's a computer that needs to render some POV-Ray frames to keep my
>> feet warm ;)
>>
>>
>> (Until then, I guess I'll try to get that warm and cozy feeling by doing
>> some cancer research for the WCG.)
>>
> 
> sounds boring ... perhaps you should consider watching paint dry ;-)

Drying paint doesn't warm my feet ;)

I currently don't have the time & energy to roll my own
render-time-consuming projects.


Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 12:50:01
Message: <web.5a01abdb294fb4d4c437ac910@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:

> it's late autumn over here, central heating isn't working properly, and
> I consider electric heaters a waste of money... unless they produce
> POV-Ray images as a byproduct.

Same here.
My loopy landlord somehow seems to think that Joule heating is "the most
efficient" because he was some sort of DOE "energy auditor".
As a tenant, "most efficient" = least amount of money per BTU.

I have a propane heating unit, which apparently has NEVER been used, was not
designed to be accessible for cleaning, and so when I finally got it fired up...
  :O


Many thanks for the offer - I'm sure someone may have a scene or two for you to
render  ;)


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 13:30:26
Message: <5a01b572$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/11/2017 11:42, clipka wrote:
> Drying paint doesn't warm my feet;)

Train your cats to go to sleep curled around you feet. :)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 15:07:27
Message: <5a01cc2f$1@news.povray.org>
Am 07.11.2017 um 14:30 schrieb Stephen:
> On 07/11/2017 11:42, clipka wrote:
>> Drying paint doesn't warm my feet;)
> 
> Train your cats to go to sleep curled around you feet. :)

Ain't got any. (Cats, that is. Feet I still do have.)


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 7 Nov 2017 16:12:38
Message: <5a01db76$1@news.povray.org>
On 07/11/2017 15:07, clipka wrote:
> Am 07.11.2017 um 14:30 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 07/11/2017 11:42, clipka wrote:
>>> Drying paint doesn't warm my feet;)
>>
>> Train your cats to go to sleep curled around you feet. :)
> 
> Ain't got any. (Cats, that is. Feet I still do have.)
> 


I use a hot water bottle wrapped in a pillow, myself.

As my old sensi used to say:
"Stick up for your feet and they will stand up for you."
And never a truer word, spoken.


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 9 Nov 2017 01:40:01
Message: <web.5a03b1d4294fb4d49c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
>
> So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
> project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
> -- here's a computer that needs to render some POV-Ray frames to keep my
> feet warm ;)

I would send you the old Capriccio sample scene, modified to use 3.7/3.8, but
it's almost 12 MB compressed for whole set of folders and files. Not sure if
that could be trimmed down, I made changes to some image_maps too, part of the
bulk of the file size.

I've been trying animation of morning to night-- in a clumsy way-- and it's only
several hours at low resolution to do 100 frames but if radiosity is added,
resolution and frame count increased the render time gets way longer.

Bob


Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 10 Nov 2017 07:15:01
Message: <web.5a0551b9294fb4d49c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
"omniverse" <omn### [at] charternet> wrote:
> clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> >
> > So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
> > project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
>
> I would send you the old Capriccio sample scene

Um, sorry, not a "sample" or example scene file. Not part of POV-Ray
distribution, I remembered wrong.

A rendering is in POV-Ray Hall of Fame, and I think a link to its files too but
that link is broken. However Norbert Kern reposted them, so thanks for doing
that a few years ago Norbert!!

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.scene-files/thread/%3Cweb.542d85973c52af1d5f44f3a00%40news.povray.org%3E/?ttop=4
14950&toff=50

Going astray here, I didn't know Histogram file output (ini option +HTN for
example) was removed from 3.7 but I have a PNG histogram of the capriccio.pov
render, apparently done using version 3.6. I was going to try another using 3.8
and got the error about it being unrecognized.

C'est la vie!


Post a reply to this message

From: architype
Subject: Re: Let Me Render That For You
Date: 18 Nov 2017 13:55:01
Message: <web.5a103af7294fb4d4990be8aa0@news.povray.org>
clipka <ano### [at] anonymousorg> wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> it's late autumn over here, central heating isn't working properly, and
> I consider electric heaters a waste of money... unless they produce
> POV-Ray images as a byproduct.
>
> So if any of you happens to be working on a render-time-consuming
> project and could need some additional raw computing power, let me know
> -- here's a computer that needs to render some POV-Ray frames to keep my
> feet warm ;)
>
>
> (Until then, I guess I'll try to get that warm and cozy feeling by doing
> some cancer research for the WCG.)

Wow, that is an incredibly generous offer! :) I am a bit surprised that nobody
took up the offer though. There are countless times that I have needed/wanted
more raw power...
Best wishes! /A


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.