POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : trace question Server Time
25 Apr 2024 03:25:59 EDT (-0400)
  trace question (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Stephen
Subject: trace question
Date: 10 Sep 2017 09:13:19
Message: <59b53a6f$1@news.povray.org>
If I trace an object. How can I get the colour of the intersection of
the ray and object. As far as I can see trace() only returns the normal.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Subject: Re: trace question
Date: 10 Sep 2017 09:27:07
Message: <59b53dab$1@news.povray.org>
Am 10.09.2017 um 15:13 schrieb Stephen:
> If I trace an object. How can I get the colour of the intersection of
> the ray and object. As far as I can see trace() only returns the normal.

You'll need to know the pigment of the object, and invoke `eval_pigment`
on the intersection point you get...

... and hope that the pigment isn't UV-mapped, nor uses a special
pattern like slope or aoi.

Post a reply to this message

>> If I trace an object. How can I get the colour of the intersection of
>> the ray and object. As far as I can see trace() only returns the normal.
>
> You'll need to know the pigment of the object, and invoke `eval_pigment`
> on the intersection point you get...

Thanks, I had a blank in my memory.

> ... and hope that the pigment isn't UV-mapped,

Hope is not involved because there is a good chance I would want to do
that. Is it at all possible?

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> If I trace an object. How can I get the colour of the intersection of
>>> the ray and object. As far as I can see trace() only returns the normal.
>>
>> You'll need to know the pigment of the object, and invoke `eval_pigment`
>> on the intersection point you get...
>>

> Thanks, I had a blank in my memory.
>
>> ... and hope that the pigment isn't UV-mapped,
>
> Hope is not involved because there is a good chance I would want to do
> that. Is it at all possible?

No; not with the current versions of POV-Ray. The `trace` function would
have to be extended to report the UV coordinate of the intersection, so
that you could then feed it into `eval_pigment` instead of the 3D
coordinate.

Post a reply to this message

>> Hope is not involved because there is a good chance I would want to do
>> that. Is it at all possible?
> No; not with the current versions of POV-Ray. The `trace` function would
> have to be extended to report the UV coordinate of the intersection, so
> that you could then feed it into `eval_pigment` instead of the 3D
> coordinate.

Again, thanks.
In that case for UV mapped models I'll continue to use the slicing
method for creating df3s for meshes.

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

>>> You'll need to know the pigment of the object, and invoke `eval_pigment`
>>> on the intersection point you get...
>> Thanks, I had a blank in my memory.
>>> ... and hope that the pigment isn't UV-mapped,
>> Hope is not involved because there is a good chance I would want to do
>> that. Is it at all possible?
> No; not with the current versions of POV-Ray. The `trace` function would
> have to be extended to report the UV coordinate of the intersection, so
> that you could then feed it into `eval_pigment` instead of the 3D
> coordinate.

do I understand this correctly?  if I trace some object with a regular
pigment it will work, but the trace will fail if the object's
pigment/colour is "not simple"?  seems .. strange.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message

>>> Thanks, I had a blank in my memory.
>>> Hope is not involved because there is a good chance I would want to do
>>> that. Is it at all possible?
>> No; not with the current versions of POV-Ray. The `trace` function would
>> have to be extended to report the UV coordinate of the intersection, so
>> that you could then feed it into `eval_pigment` instead of the 3D
>> coordinate.
>
> do I understand this correctly?  if I trace some object with a regular
> pigment it will work, but the trace will fail if the object's
> pigment/colour is "not simple"?  seems .. strange.

No, the `trace` function works perfectly fine for what it was designed
for: It gives you the point in 3D space where a given ray intersects a
given geometric object. In and of itself, it has nothing to do with
pigments whatsoever.

Likewise, the `eval_pigment` function works perfectly fine for what it
was designed for: It gives you the colour of a given pigment for a given
point in 3D space. In and of itself, it has nothing to do with geometry
whatsoever.

And that's where the problem with UV-mapped textures arises: Since
`trace` knows nothing about textures, and `eval_pigment` knows nothing
about geometry, the two can only be combined for good effect if there is
a direct mapping between geometry and pigment via 3D XYZ space. But with
UV-mapping that's not the case, and hence the /combo/ of the two
functions breaks down there.

Post a reply to this message

>> do I understand this correctly?  if I trace some object with a regular
>> pigment it will work, but the trace will fail if the object's
>> pigment/colour is "not simple"?  seems .. strange.
>
> No, the `trace` function works perfectly fine for what it was designed
> for: It gives you the point in 3D space where a given ray intersects a
> given geometric object. In and of itself, it has nothing to do with
> pigments whatsoever.
>
> Likewise, the `eval_pigment` function works perfectly fine for what it
> was designed for: It gives you the colour of a given pigment for a given
> point in 3D space. In and of itself, it has nothing to do with geometry
> whatsoever.
>
> And that's where the problem with UV-mapped textures arises: Since
> `trace` knows nothing about textures, and `eval_pigment` knows nothing
> about geometry, the two can only be combined for good effect if there is
> a direct mapping between geometry and pigment via 3D XYZ space. But with
> UV-mapping that's not the case, and hence the /combo/ of the two
> functions breaks down there.

thanks.

regards, jr.

Post a reply to this message