POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : smooth gradient color_map Server Time
18 Apr 2024 18:35:40 EDT (-0400)
  smooth gradient color_map (Message 28 to 37 of 37)
From: Jim Holsenback
Subject: Re: smooth gradient color_map
Date: 23 Jul 2017 10:18:36
Message: <5974b03c$1@news.povray.org>
On 7/23/2017 9:13 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> On 7/23/2017 7:43 AM, Jim Holsenback wrote:

>>> [...]
>>>
>>> Now I am completely lost indeed. Where do you put that "blend_mode"
>>> parameter??? The wiki doesn't show in the examples, while it
>>> discusses it; something to correct I guess.
>>>

>> true enough no example ... but i thought i hinted about the order with
>> the syntax diagram
>
> well ok now ... looking closer i'm not entirely comfortable with that
> syntax diagram. i think i can do better. i'm trying to get 3.8 docs
> squared away so we can get back to doing a release ... standby

the syntax diagram has been changed to /correctly/ reflect it's /order/
specific nature when using blend_mode:

http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Map
http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment_Map

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 24 Jul 2017 02:40:23
Message: <59759657$1@news.povray.org>
On 23-7-2017 16:18, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> the syntax diagram has been changed to /correctly/ reflect it's /order/
> specific nature when using blend_mode:
>
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Map
> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment_Map

Thank you indeed Jim, much clearer now.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: omniverse
Date: 24 Jul 2017 04:15:00
Message: <web.5975ac806b1125dc9c5d6c810@news.povray.org>
> On 23-7-2017 16:18, Jim Holsenback wrote:
> > the syntax diagram has been changed to /correctly/ reflect it's /order/
> > specific nature when using blend_mode:
> >
> > http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Map
> > http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment_Map
>
> Thank you indeed Jim, much clearer now.
>
> --
> Thomas

Documentation is 2nd only to the program itself, and sometimes I think of it the
other way around.

Thanks goes to Christoph (clipka) too for that more thorough blend explanation.
Takes me a couple three reads for most things like that. Ahhh that technical
detail stuff!

Bob

Post a reply to this message

>> On 23-7-2017 16:18, Jim Holsenback wrote:
>>> the syntax diagram has been changed to /correctly/ reflect it's /order/
>>> specific nature when using blend_mode:
>>>
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Color_Map
>>> http://wiki.povray.org/content/Reference:Pigment_Map
>>
>> Thank you indeed Jim, much clearer now.
>>
>> --
>> Thomas
>
> Documentation is 2nd only to the program itself, and sometimes I think of it the
> other way around.
>
> Thanks goes to Christoph (clipka) too for that more thorough blend explanation.
> Takes me a couple three reads for most things like that. Ahhh that technical
> detail stuff!

I fully agree. Would it be going to far to ask if some of that
explanation could be included into the docs? I think it is not trivial.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message

On 7/24/2017 6:48 AM, Thomas de Groot wrote:
> On 24-7-2017 10:14, omniverse wrote:
>> Thomas de Groot <tho### [at] degrootorg> wrote:

>>> Thank you indeed Jim, much clearer now.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Thomas
>>
>> Documentation is 2nd only to the program itself, and sometimes I think
>> of it the
>> other way around.
>>
>> Thanks goes to Christoph (clipka) too for that more thorough blend
>> explanation.
>> Takes me a couple three reads for most things like that. Ahhh that
>> technical
>> detail stuff!
>>

> I fully agree. Would it be going to far to ask if some of that
> explanation could be included into the docs? I think it is not trivial.

i just updated (developer suggested) both syntax diagrams again ... if
you could help me out by replying here with relevant portions and i'll
follow up in the morning.

Post a reply to this message

On 24-7-2017 13:15, Jim Holsenback wrote:

>>> Documentation is 2nd only to the program itself, and sometimes I
>>> think of it the
>>> other way around.
>>>
>>> Thanks goes to Christoph (clipka) too for that more thorough blend
>>> explanation.
>>> Takes me a couple three reads for most things like that. Ahhh that
>>> technical
>>> detail stuff!
>>>

>> I fully agree. Would it be going to far to ask if some of that
>> explanation could be included into the docs? I think it is not trivial.
>>

> i just updated (developer suggested) both syntax diagrams again ... if
> you could help me out by replying here with relevant portions and i'll
> follow up in the morning.

I shall do that tomorrow if you don't mind. I have to go away now.

--
Thomas

Post a reply to this message