POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Which reflection models does PovRay use? Server Time: 22 Oct 2017 21:02:30 GMT
  Which reflection models does PovRay use? (Message 1 to 9 of 9)  
From: Stephen
Subject: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 1 May 2017 09:40:50
Message: <590702a2$1@news.povray.org>
I am comparing the output of Blenderâs PovRay exporter with Blenderâs 
internal renderer. So to compare like with like I want to set the 
Blender material to what PovRay uses.
These are the Blender models.
	
Diffuse	 Fresnel
	 Minnaert
	 Toon
	 Oren-Nayar
	 Lambert

Specular Wardlso
	 Toon
	 Blinn
	 Phong
	 CookTorr

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Alain
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 03:51:56
Message: <5908025c@news.povray.org>
Le 17-05-01 à 05:40, Stephen a écrit :
> I am comparing the output of Blenderâs PovRay exporter with Blenderâs 
> internal renderer. So to compare like with like I want to set the 
> Blender material to what PovRay uses.
> These are the Blender models.
> 
> Diffuse     Fresnel
>       Minnaert
>       Toon
>       Oren-Nayar
>       Lambert
> 
> Specular Wardlso
>       Toon
>       Blinn
>       Phong
>       CookTorr
> 

"Toon" invoque rather flat tones. Use a low brilliance, from zero to 0.2.
"blinn" is probably similar to specular highlight.


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 08:19:29
Message: <59084111$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/2017 4:52 AM, Alain wrote:
> Le 17-05-01 à 05:40, Stephen a écrit :
>> I am comparing the output of Blenderâs PovRay exporter with Blenderâs
>> internal renderer. So to compare like with like I want to set the
>> Blender material to what PovRay uses.
>> These are the Blender models.
>>
>> Diffuse
>>       Fresnel
>>       Minnaert
>>       Toon
>>       Oren-Nayar
>>       Lambert
>>
>> Specular
>>       Wardlso
>>       Toon
>>       Blinn
>>       Phong
>>       CookTorr
>>
>
> "Toon" invoque rather flat tones. Use a low brilliance, from zero to 0.2.
> "blinn" is probably similar to specular highlight.
>

Thanks for the reply, Alain.

My question was badly formatted. Both in layout and style, sorry.
The list above are the options I have in Blender.

Thinking about it. I'll stop being lazy and do some testing. That will 
give me a better understanding of Blender's shaders. It should throw 
some light on my confusion of how Blender does things.

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Gergely Szaktilla
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 08:40:57
Message: <59084619$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.05.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Stephen:
> Thinking about it. I'll stop being lazy and do some testing. That will
> give me a better understanding of Blender's shaders. It should throw
> some light on my confusion of how Blender does things.

Please tell us about your experiences. I'm still not using Blender
because I'm still hoping that Moray will be available some time. But
things like what you are talking about are of some interest for me.

Gregor


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 09:34:28
Message: <590852a4@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/2017 9:40 AM, Gergely Szaktilla wrote:
> Am 02.05.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Stephen:
>> Thinking about it. I'll stop being lazy and do some testing. That will
>> give me a better understanding of Blender's shaders. It should throw
>> some light on my confusion of how Blender does things.
>
> Please tell us about your experiences. I'm still not using Blender
> because I'm still hoping that Moray will be available some time.

Of course I will. But if I were you I would not hold my breath waiting 
for Moray to be resurrected. The last I can remember is that the PovRay 
developers were planning to start working on it after they had finished 
PovRay Ver 4. I don't know if they have started on Ver 4.

> But things like what you are talking about are of some interest for me.
>

The good news is that Blender uses the same coordinate system as Moray 
with Z axis up.
The not so good news is that Blender's UI is a lot to learn and does not 
use the same conventions as most Windows programs. For instance "Select 
all" is "A" not "Ctrl + A", Select multiple items is "Shift click" not 
"Ctrl click" etc. It is confusing at first.
The exporter in Blender converts the Blender materials to PovRay 
materials. It is quite good at this for simple materials. It also has 
the functionality that allows you to write your own PovRay materials and 
use them instead.
I have been working on UV mapped meshes, recently. I started off with a 
complex one and ran into problems. So I am now going to use a simple one 
and work my way up. It might not be the exporter at fault. I might need 
to change the way I'm building the model or I'm using the wrong settings.
Blender is a different way of thinking. But it is very powerful and has 
lots of features.
I have a planet Earth made in Bishop3D that I am trying to recreate in 
Blender.
I will post results and comparisons when I am finished.


-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Gergely Szaktilla
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 12:04:27
Message: <590875cb$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.05.2017 um 11:34 schrieb Stephen:
> On 5/2/2017 9:40 AM, Gergely Szaktilla wrote:
>> Am 02.05.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Stephen:
>>> Thinking about it. I'll stop being lazy and do some testing. That will
>>> give me a better understanding of Blender's shaders. It should throw
>>> some light on my confusion of how Blender does things.
>> Please tell us about your experiences. I'm still not using Blender
>> because I'm still hoping that Moray will be available some time.
> Of course I will.

Good. I still haven't found the one special thing that draws me in the
direction of Blender. But the search is not finished yet.

> But if I were you I would not hold my breath waiting
> for Moray to be resurrected. The last I can remember is that the PovRay
> developers were planning to start working on it after they had finished
> PovRay Ver 4. I don't know if they have started on Ver 4.

Well, okay, THAT's a good reason.

> The not so good news is that Blender's UI is a lot to learn 

This is the hurdle that keeps me away from Blender. So far.

Gregor


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 13:00:32
Message: <590882f0@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/2017 1:04 PM, Gergely Szaktilla wrote:
> Am 02.05.2017 um 11:34 schrieb Stephen:
>> On 5/2/2017 9:40 AM, Gergely Szaktilla wrote:
>>> Am 02.05.2017 um 10:19 schrieb Stephen:
>>>> Thinking about it. I'll stop being lazy and do some testing. That will
>>>> give me a better understanding of Blender's shaders. It should throw
>>>> some light on my confusion of how Blender does things.
>>> Please tell us about your experiences. I'm still not using Blender
>>> because I'm still hoping that Moray will be available some time.
>> Of course I will.
>
> Good. I still haven't found the one special thing that draws me in the
> direction of Blender. But the search is not finished yet.
>

Have you looked at Bishop3d? It was paid for but since it is not 
supported any more. It is free.

It will only render with Pov 3.62 but you can take the sdl file and run 
it manually in 3.7 or UberPov. With appropriate changes ie #version
It can also import a quite large subset of Pov code. You can incorporate 
your own code as text and with some slight of hand, read its own 
variables. I've managed to get it to work with, Rune's Grass Tex Include 
File, screen.inc, PovRay's Trace function. I think it was StephenS who 
worked out how to do that.

I just checked the site and it is gone but you can download the setup 
and key from the wayback machine.

https://web.archive.org/web/20160317033419/http://www.bishop3d.com:80/download.htm

It is Y axis up.


>> But if I were you I would not hold my breath waiting
>> for Moray to be resurrected. The last I can remember is that the PovRay
>> developers were planning to start working on it after they had finished
>> PovRay Ver 4. I don't know if they have started on Ver 4.
>
> Well, okay, THAT's a good reason.
>
>> The not so good news is that Blender's UI is a lot to learn
>
> This is the hurdle that keeps me away from Blender. So far.
>

Me too for several years and a couple attempts.




-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

From: Gergely Szaktilla
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 14:41:13
Message: <59089a89$1@news.povray.org>
Am 02.05.2017 um 15:00 schrieb Stephen:
> https://web.archive.org/web/20160317033419/http://www.bishop3d.com:80/download.htm

Thanks for that. But useless for me since my computer runs Debian 7.

The next time I try to cope Blender will hopefully be the last /try/.

Gregor


Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Subject: Re: Which reflection models does PovRay use?
Date: 2 May 2017 15:16:27
Message: <5908a2cb$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/2/2017 3:41 PM, Gergely Szaktilla wrote:
> Am 02.05.2017 um 15:00 schrieb Stephen:
>> https://web.archive.org/web/20160317033419/http://www.bishop3d.com:80/download.htm
>
> Thanks for that. But useless for me since my computer runs Debian 7.
>

Well at least we tried. :)

> The next time I try to cope Blender will hopefully be the last /try/.
>

Never say never. ;)

-- 

Regards
     Stephen


Post a reply to this message

Copyright 2003-2008 Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd.