POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : 3D printing POV-Ray scenes Server Time
25 Apr 2024 16:24:28 EDT (-0400)
  3D printing POV-Ray scenes (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Chris Cason
Subject: 3D printing POV-Ray scenes
Date: 9 Nov 2016 06:24:52
Message: <58230784@news.povray.org>
Folks,

Just wanted to point you at this news item:

  http://www.povray.org/news/index.php#324

"Former POV-Ray developer and team coordinator Chris Young has been
working with 3D printing in recent times and wanted to be able to
convert a POV-Ray scene into something that he could touch & feel.
This isn't as easy as it sounds since POV-Ray works with solids but
consumer 3D printers expect triangle meshes.

He has written a blog post explaining the issue and how he approached
it, and another interesting and quite detailed post explaining the
process he used to get from .POV to .STL.

Chris has made his pov2mesh code available on GitHub under the
Creative Commons license."

Links:

http://graphics.cyborg5.com/2016/10/29/3-d-printing-a-pov-ray-model/
http://graphics.cyborg5.com/2016/10/29/converting-pov-ray-shapes-to-triangle-mesh-for-3-d-printing/
https://github.com/cyborg5/pov2mesh

-- Chris

Post a reply to this message

> "Former POV-Ray developer and team coordinator Chris Young
>
> He has written a blog post explaining the issue and how he approached
> it, and another interesting and quite detailed post explaining the
> process he used to get from .POV to .STL.

Great thing! I'm no good with mesh stuff but I was able to get the old SDL chess
pieces (as a complete set) into a MeshLab-readable file using Mr. Young's
innovation.

From there I haven't a clue. Best I can do is make the chess pieces appear as
lumpy clay globs. LOL

I'm going to put the *.asc file at povray.binaries.misc to let others have a go
with it.

Thanks for the heads up Mr. Cason! Sorry if I'm being too formal. LTNS here! BTW
Good to know your both involved with POV-Ray.

Bob

Post a reply to this message