POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : BuckoSoft Animation Controller in action Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:35:50 EDT (-0400)
  BuckoSoft Animation Controller in action (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: dick balaska
Subject: BuckoSoft Animation Controller in action
Date: 17 Feb 2016 23:38:54
Message: <56c54ade$1@news.povray.org>
I started taking screen shots to continue the discussion about CPU and
compilers.

Instead, I ended up making a page of screen shots of bsac doing its
network render thing...

http://www.buckosoft.com/bsac/flyby/

(
In the Framelist, note the 17 minute M$ render times vs. 50 minute gcc
times (vs. 176 minutes for the Celeron (sven...)). 3 to 1 increase for
M$ [1].

I have another scene, looking at a tile floor of superellipsoids that M$
has a 10 to 1 speed increase! [2] My linux boxes hate that floor. :)

And then I have a similar scene (looking through glass at nothing too
complicated) where M$ has only a 50% increase in speed, 34 minutes vs.
43 minutes. [3]

I think what this means is, I've got to get my hands on the icc/Ubuntu
compiler.
)

dik

[1] 3 to 1
http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttho0705.png
[2] 10 to 1 for M$
http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttko0524.png
[3] 50% increase
http://www.buckosoft.com/tteoac/video/frames/ttho2946.png

Post a reply to this message

Am 18.02.2016 um 05:38 schrieb dick balaska:

> (
> In the Framelist, note the 17 minute M$ render times vs. 50 minute gcc
> times (vs. 176 minutes for the Celeron (sven...)). 3 to 1 increase for
> M$ [1].
>
> I have another scene, looking at a tile floor of superellipsoids that M$
> has a 10 to 1 speed increase! [2] My linux boxes hate that floor. :)
>
> And then I have a similar scene (looking through glass at nothing too
> complicated) where M$ has only a 50% increase in speed, 34 minutes vs.
> 43 minutes. [3]
>
> I think what this means is, I've got to get my hands on the icc/Ubuntu
> compiler.
> )

Are you sure that's what it means? Microsoft and Intel aren't really the
same, you know.

Post a reply to this message