POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Break out of a macro? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 17:32:04 EDT (-0400)
  Break out of a macro? (Message 1 to 5 of 5)
From: Mike Horvath
Subject: Break out of a macro?
Date: 31 Jan 2016 17:02:27
Message: <56ae8473@news.povray.org>
Let's say that based on a condition inside Macro A, I want to
immediately switch over to Macro B instead without processing the rest
of Macro A. How do I do this in POV-Ray? In a normal scripting language
I would simply use a return statement to stop Macro A, but POV-Ray
doesn't have a return statement.

Mike

Post a reply to this message

On 1/31/2016 5:02 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
> Let's say that based on a condition inside Macro A, I want to
> immediately switch over to Macro B instead without processing the rest
> of Macro A. How do I do this in POV-Ray? In a normal scripting language
> I would simply use a return statement to stop Macro A, but POV-Ray
> doesn't have a return statement.
>

> Mike

Okay, I got lucky and found the description of the #break statement in
"3.3.2.6.4 The switch, case, range and break Directives".

Mike

Post a reply to this message

Am 31.01.2016 um 23:05 schrieb Mike Horvath:
> On 1/31/2016 5:02 PM, Mike Horvath wrote:
>> Let's say that based on a condition inside Macro A, I want to
>> immediately switch over to Macro B instead without processing the rest
>> of Macro A. How do I do this in POV-Ray? In a normal scripting language
>> I would simply use a return statement to stop Macro A, but POV-Ray
>> doesn't have a return statement.
>>

>> Mike
>

> Okay, I got lucky and found the description of the #break statement in
> "3.3.2.6.4 The switch, case, range and break Directives".

To me that sounds less like luck, and more like a case of the document
writer having done his job ;)

Post a reply to this message

> Okay, I got lucky and found the description of the #break statement in
> "3.3.2.6.4 The switch, case, range and break Directives".

Very interesting. I didn't know this was possible 'within' a macro. Good to
know.

Post a reply to this message

> To me that sounds less like luck, and more like a case of the document
> writer having done his job ;)

No, I got lucky because I was looking for something unrelated, and just
happened to glance at the note.

Mike