POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Question: Render Priority Server Time
29 Apr 2024 16:09:28 EDT (-0400)
  Question: Render Priority (Message 1 to 4 of 4)
From: Sven Littkowski
Subject: Question: Render Priority
Date: 28 Jan 2016 03:18:45
Message: <56a9cee5$1@news.povray.org>
Hi,

is POV-Ray's "Render Priority" the same setting as inside the Windows
Task Manager's process window its "Set Priority" setting for running
processes? I use Windows 7.

The Windows Task Manager offers
- Real Time
- High
- Above Normal
- Normal
- Below Normal
- Low

POV-Ray offers:
- High
- Normal
- Low
- Background

If both are about the same CPU feature, to which Task Window priority
option does each POV-Ray render priority option correspond to? Thanks.

Post a reply to this message

Am 28.01.2016 um 09:18 schrieb Sven Littkowski:

> is POV-Ray's "Render Priority" the same setting as inside the Windows
> Task Manager's process window its "Set Priority" setting for running
> processes? I use Windows 7.
>
> The Windows Task Manager offers
> - Real Time
> - High
> - Above Normal
> - Normal
> - Below Normal
> - Low
>
> POV-Ray offers:
> - High
> - Normal
> - Low
> - Background
>
> If both are about the same CPU feature, to which Task Window priority
> option does each POV-Ray render priority option correspond to? Thanks.

Task Manager    POV-Ray
----------------------------
Real Time       -
High            -
Above Normal    High
Normal          Normal
Below Normal    -
Low             Low
-               Background

POV-Ray's "Background" mode does not only lower the CPU scheduling
priority, but also the resource scheduling priority.

Post a reply to this message

Le 16-01-28 03:18, Sven Littkowski a écrit :
> Hi,
>
> is POV-Ray's "Render Priority" the same setting as inside the Windows
> Task Manager's process window its "Set Priority" setting for running
> processes? I use Windows 7.
>
> The Windows Task Manager offers
> - Real Time
> - High
> - Above Normal
> - Normal
> - Below Normal
> - Low
>
> POV-Ray offers:
> - High
> - Normal
> - Low
> - Background
>
> If both are about the same CPU feature, to which Task Window priority
> option does each POV-Ray render priority option correspond to? Thanks.

In my case, the relations are as follow:
Pov	Task manager
High	High
Normal	Below normal
Low	Low