POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Ribbon following spline Server Time
25 Apr 2024 17:27:49 EDT (-0400)
  Ribbon following spline (Message 1 to 10 of 10)
From: kurtz le pirate
Subject: Ribbon following spline
Date: 31 Dec 2015 05:06:00
Message: <5684fe08$1@news.povray.org>
hello,

i would try to make a ribbon that follows a curve defined by a 3d spline.

which method to use?

thanks

---
kurtz le pirate
compagnie de la banquise

Post a reply to this message

From: Le Forgeron
Subject: Re: Ribbon following spline
Date: 31 Dec 2015 08:39:49
Message: <56853025$1@news.povray.org>

Post a reply to this message

From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Date: 31 Dec 2015 21:55:00
Message: <web.5685e9816378af8062f88d070@news.povray.org>
kurtz le pirate <kur### [at] gmailcom> wrote:
> hello,
>
> i would try to make a ribbon that follows a curve defined by a 3d spline.
>
> which method to use?

Are you thinking of something similar to what is shown in this thread ?

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/thread/%3Cweb.4d04e35320256a0cc734aecd0%40news.povray.org%3E/
From: Tor Olav Kristensen
Subject: Spacing of points along natural cubic splines
Date: 12 Dec 2010 15:05:01

If so, then follow the link to the message thread with the source code.

These searches may also be relevant:

https://www.google.com/search?q="frenet+frame"+along+spline
https://www.google.com/search?q="orthogonal+axes"+spline

https://www.google.com/search?q=arc+length+parameterization+spline