POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e Server Time
8 Jul 2024 12:37:31 EDT (-0400)
  Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e (Message 21 to 30 of 49)
From: Jim Henderson
Subject: Re: Typo's in the 3.7 Installe'r an'd PO'V we'b sit'e
Date: 7 Jul 2015 12:32:34
Message: <559bff22@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 07 Jul 2015 08:53:35 +0100, scott wrote:

>> That's a new one!  So, you're saying the plural of GP shouldn't be GPs,
>> because GPS is another viable acronym?
>
> "GPS TO STOP WORKING BY 2020!"
>
> It's not a case of should or shouldn't, just the option is there to use
> an apostrophe to denote plural for the purpose of making the text
> clearer to read. It's not normally needed for acronyms (more usually for
> letters or numbers), but it's incorrect to state that an apostrophe is
> never used for plurarls.

The style guide in use or context would determine whether or not you read
that as "GPs" or "GPS".

Context would be the more likely indicator.  If you're reading a medical
journal, it's not likely to be a global positioning system.  If you're
reading a tech journal, it's not likely to be your doctor.

When writing, you *must* take the audience and context into
consideration, or you will fail to communicate clearly.

There is no circumstance I can think of where "GP's" would be considered
a proper plural of "GP".  It would *always* be a possessive.

Jim