POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Transparency maps Server Time
22 Jun 2024 06:43:33 EDT (-0400)
From: Doctor John
Subject: Re: Transparency maps
Date: 28 Nov 2014 15:57:43
On 27/11/14 14:10, Stephen wrote:

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Nov 2014 17:23:27
On 28/11/2014 20:58, Doctor John wrote:
> On 27/11/14 14:10, Stephen wrote:

     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: Thomas de Groot
Date: 29 Nov 2014 03:21:12
Message: <547981f8$1@news.povray.org>

http://news.povray.org/povray.binaries.images/attachment/%3C43e348c8%40news.povray.org%3E/Alien%20Cliff.jpg?ttop=284089
> &toff=1600
>
> Which instantly meshed with a scene in the book I'm (finally) reading - "Against
> All Things Ending" by Stephen Donaldson, where Linden Avery beholds Landsdrop:
>
> "And she caught sight of Landsdrop. Grey in the depthless sunlight, it loomed
> two thousand feet and more above her own elevation: a blunt rampart smoothed by
> the ages until it appeared almost blank; too sheer to scale. But she knew from
> old experience as well as from tales that Landsdrop was more accessible than it
> looked. There were trails of all kinds up and down the precipice, although she
> could not descry them at this distance. Ignoring the impatience of the Ranyhyn,
> Linden studied the vista. Almost directly to the west, a thin string of water
> fell as though it had been tossed over the rim by a negligent hand. Dull against
> the dim stone, like a strand of tarnished silver, it dropped in stages, shifting
> from side to side as its plunge encountered obstacles, and casting fine hints of
> spray into the etiolated sunshine."

And yet, it was not inspired by Donaldson... :-) It was by another SF
world: Mount Lookitthat on Plateau, imagined by Larry Niven. The concept
then drifted slowly away from there to the present image.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message