POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone use datetime? Server Time
16 Apr 2024 08:44:01 EDT (-0400)
  Anyone use datetime? (Message 1 to 10 of 15)
From: Leroy
Subject: Anyone use datetime?
Date: 20 Nov 2014 14:51:33
Message: <546e4645@news.povray.org>
I'm having some trouble.
I'm trying to have POV write datetime to a file in the form:

// Made Wednesday 11-19-2014 07:33 PM

Everything is fine except the hour: it was 1:33 PM

Here what I wrote:
#write(Mfile,"// Made ",datetime(now,"%A %m-%d-%Y %I:%M %p"),"\n")

The (%I) above, I got from my C++ book and don't have a C book.
I don't think there can be much different between them.
Is there something I missing, or is this a POV 3.7 bug?

Post a reply to this message

> I'm trying to have POV write datetime to a file in the form:
>
> // Made Wednesday 11-19-2014 07:33 PM
>
> Everything is fine except the hour: it was 1:33 PM
>
> Here what I wrote:
> #write(Mfile,"// Made ",datetime(now,"%A %m-%d-%Y %I:%M %p"),"\n")
>
> The (%I) above, I got from my C++ book and don't have a C book.
> I don't think there can be much different between them.
> Is there something I missing, or is this a POV 3.7 bug?

datetime is from boost.

Your date format is not correct. '-' is for iso 8601, american's date
should use '/'. Iso 8601 is YEAR-Month-Day (the '-' might be omitted in
non-extended format)

There is only one format for date, Iso 8601. All other formats are doomed.

The difference of 6 hours might be due to your timezone (which you did
not print, or its settings somewhere): give a try to "%z", "%Z" or "%ZP"

--
IQ of crossposters with FU: 100 / (number of groups)
IQ of crossposters without FU: 100 / (1 + number of groups)

Post a reply to this message

>> I'm trying to have POV write datetime to a file in the form:
>>
>> // Made Wednesday 11-19-2014 07:33 PM
>>
>> Everything is fine except the hour: it was 1:33 PM
>>
>> Here what I wrote:
>> #write(Mfile,"// Made ",datetime(now,"%A %m-%d-%Y %I:%M %p"),"\n")
>>
>> The (%I) above, I got from my C++ book and don't have a C book.
>> I don't think there can be much different between them.
>> Is there something I missing, or is this a POV 3.7 bug?
>
> datetime is from boost.

My bad, povray's datetime is using strftime(), after getting the LC_TIME
environment variable from your environment.

> Your date format is not correct. '-' is for iso 8601, american's date
> should use '/'. Iso 8601 is YEAR-Month-Day (the '-' might be omitted in
> non-extended format)
>
> There is only one format for date, Iso 8601. All other formats are doomed.
>
> The difference of 6 hours might be due to your timezone (which you did
> not print, or its settings somewhere): give a try to "%z", "%Z" or "%ZP"

Yep, "%z" or "%Z" might give you a clue about the actual clock.

If you are running something like Windows, the traditional setting of
the bios clock might be "local clock" (and that's not a good idea).

Bios clock are better as UTC clock (Never adjust them on Day-saving
change). Even better, sync them with NTP servers.