POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Anyone use datetime? Server Time
29 Apr 2024 14:00:26 EDT (-0400)
  Anyone use datetime? (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Leroy
Subject: Re: Anyone use datetime?
Date: 24 Nov 2014 13:17:37
Message: <54737641@news.povray.org>
Le_Forgeron wrote:
> Le 22/11/2014 18:43, Leroy a écrit :
>> Your right about the time zone. I check out every thing you said. No luck.
>>
>> So is the problem my XP or is it in POV 3.7?
>
> you forget the third component: the one between the screen and the chair
> (no offense intended), it's the one that matter in the end.

programers should program for that :)

> You can either:
> * move your XP to have its clock as UTC (but that might be problematic
> for some already installed programs). Btw, the XP clock does not show
> any UTC setting, at best you can opt for Greenwich without summer-saving
> adjustment.
> * add a %z or similar in the format string to copy the time-zone setting
> (so 1:30pm local is displayed 7:30pm -0600 ), then the date and time
> should be correct but its reading is harder (that's where the third
> component came in play)
> * if your script is local (not to be shared with someone in Tokyo),
> adjust the now parameter as now-0.25 for your situation (and season, yep
> you can be screwed in 6 months by a different offset)

The whole thing wasn't THAT important. By the lack of others yelling 'I
have trouble too' I can conclude that it's only my problem. I can alway
just blame Windows and forget it.
Thanks for your help!

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 24 Nov 2014 13:36:22
Message: <54737aa6$1@news.povray.org>
On 24/11/2014 18:14, Leroy wrote:
>> you forget the third component: the one between the screen and the chair
>> (no offense intended), it's the one that matter in the end.
>
> programers should program for that :)

Ah! You follow the Microsoft way. :-P

--

Regards
     Stephen

Post a reply to this message

From: clipka
Date: 28 Nov 2014 07:01:36
Message: <54786420$1@news.povray.org>
Am 22.11.2014 19:04, schrieb Leroy:

>>> There is only one format for date, Iso 8601. All other formats are
>>> doomed.
>>
>> Agreed. All other formats don't make sense.
>>
>> ---Nekar Xenos-
>
> I disagree. The format you use should be job specific and a matter of
> taste. The information you want to convey and to whom is important to
> what format you use. Degrees of Freedom. That's what I like!

The "to whom" part is only important so long as there are gazillions of
different time formats out there.

The US-American format (m/d/Y), btw, really excels at not making any sense.

Post a reply to this message

From: Bald Eagle
Date: 28 Nov 2014 11:30:01
Message: <web.5478a288731c63c55e7df57c0@news.povray.org>

> The US-American format (m/d/Y), btw, really excels at not making any sense.

Look at the people who get elected here....

And besides, like songs, formats that don't make any sense are the best, because
then you can read your own meaning into them....     :|

Post a reply to this message

From: Stephen
Date: 28 Nov 2014 12:00:14
Message: <5478aa1e$1@news.povray.org>
On 28/11/2014 16:27, Bald Eagle wrote:

>> The US-American format (m/d/Y), btw, really excels at not making any sense.
>
> Look at the people who get elected here....
>
> And besides, like songs, formats that don't make any sense are the best, because
> then you can read your own meaning into them....     :|

Someone who has heard of RS232. ;-)

--

Regards
     Stephen