POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Can I remove my C: footprint Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:24:09 EDT (-0400)
  Can I remove my C: footprint (Message 1 to 3 of 3)
From: Les Popow
Subject: Can I remove my C: footprint
Date: 19 Jul 2010 14:36:27
Message: <536946tj6qqkiu2nqrvhu9loeias2450v8@4ax.com>
Hi all,

I don't know if povray.general is still alive, but I'll try here first.

I just got a new machine. and have reinstalled Povray on my D: drive.
I updated pvengine.ini to put my data on my E: drive.
Also moved the ...MyDocuments POV-Ray folder to my E: drive so that POV could find
all the includes, scenes, etc there.
At least I tried to. POV insisted on creating a new POV-Ray folder in My Documents
and complains when it doesn't find Povray.ini there.

Is there any way to totally remove the C: footprint for POV? I don't want app data on
C:. I can't find anywhere to give it an alternate location for povray.ini.

Not sure I get the concept of providing the facility to specify the install
directory, but then only using if for half the install.

This is Windows 7, 64bit. I doesn't appear to have the "Start In" facility in the app
properties anymore.

Coincidentally (or maybe not). Pov will also not find any help files, even though the
Help forlder exists in the install location on D: and is populated.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Les

Post a reply to this message

> I don't know if povray.general is still alive, but I'll try here first.
>
> I just got a new machine. and have reinstalled Povray on my D: drive.
> I updated pvengine.ini to put my data on my E: drive.
> Also moved the ...MyDocuments POV-Ray folder to my E: drive so that POV could find
> all the includes, scenes, etc there.
> At least I tried to. POV insisted on creating a new POV-Ray folder in My Documents
> and complains when it doesn't find Povray.ini there.
>
> Is there any way to totally remove the C: footprint for POV? I don't want app data
on
> C:. I can't find anywhere to give it an alternate location for povray.ini.
>
> Not sure I get the concept of providing the facility to specify the install
> directory, but then only using if for half the install.
>
> This is Windows 7, 64bit. I doesn't appear to have the "Start In" facility in the
app
> properties anymore.
>
> Coincidentally (or maybe not). Pov will also not find any help files, even though
the
> Help forlder exists in the install location on D: and is populated.
>
> Thanks in advance for any help.
>
> Les

This should work and affect any application that you ever install
afterward, unltil you change again or reinstall windows:

Using tweakui or it's windows 7 equivalent, you can change the location
of the appdata and userdata folders to whatever you want.

A little more dificult is to directly edit the registry to do the same.

For the help files, if you launch the help and it don't find the
required files, you should get a dialog box that can ether proceede to
do an automatic search or let you navigate to your help file. Once you
have navigated once, you should be set and windows should always find
those help files without any problem.

Alain

Post a reply to this message

>> This is Windows 7, 64bit. I doesn't appear to have the "Start In" facility in the
app
>> properties anymore.
>>
>> Coincidentally (or maybe not). Pov will also not find any help files, even though
the
>> Help forlder exists in the install location on D: and is populated.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for any help.
>>
>> Les
>>

>This should work and affect any application that you ever install
>afterward, unltil you change again or reinstall windows:
>
>Using tweakui or it's windows 7 equivalent, you can change the location
>of the appdata and userdata folders to whatever you want.
>
>A little more dificult is to directly edit the registry to do the same.
>
>For the help files, if you launch the help and it don't find the
>required files, you should get a dialog box that can ether proceede to
>do an automatic search or let you navigate to your help file. Once you
>have navigated once, you should be set and windows should always find
>those help files without any problem.
>

>Alain

Thanks Alain,

I'll check out the appdata userdata settings.

As to the help, when I click on any of the help items n any of the Menus, or on the
main help itself, nothing happens. No dialog, no search, no nothing. Everything just
goes along as if no button was pressed.

Thanks,

Les.