POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : copyright/trademark/patent license questions Server Time
28 Mar 2024 16:38:37 EDT (-0400)
  copyright/trademark/patent license questions (Message 1 to 7 of 7)
From: Paul Wise
Subject: copyright/trademark/patent license questions
Date: 14 Nov 2013 22:10:01
Message: <web.52858f971206da0ccabffe110@news.povray.org>
Hi all,

Currently POV-Ray is copyright by Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. and
the code is licensed under the AGPLv3+, the docs are CC-BY-NC-SA-2.5 and the SDL
includes, macros and sample scenes etc are CC-BY-SA-3.0. POV-Ray Ltd owns the
trademarks 'POV-Ray', 'Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer', and 'POV-Team'. As far
as I can tell there are no patent concerns.

https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

I have some questions about that situation:

Will copyright assignment to POV-Ray Ltd be required for contributing to
POV-Ray?

Are there any other requirements for contributions to the new AGPLv3 POV-Ray?

Is there a contributor agreement? Is there any guarantee that code contributions
will remain under the AGPLv3+ or other FLOSS licenses?

What is the business model and structure of POV-Ray Ltd?

Is POV-Ray Ltd a registered non-profit? Can we donate towards server,
development and other costs?

What are POV-Ray Ltd plans for license enforcement?

What is the reason for the documentation being under a non-commercial-only
license? Is there any chance of adopting CC-BY-SA-3.0 for the documentation?

The CC-BY-SA-3.0 license requires that all derivative works are licensed under
the same license. As far as I can tell this means that all scenes rendered with
POV-Ray that use the SDL includes, macros or are derived from the sample scenes
must be CC-BY-SA-3.0. I expect this would be problematic for some users of
POV-Ray who might want to use different licenses for their scenes. The CC0
license might be more appropriate since it is intended to be equivalent to
public domain where possible and extremely permissive where not possible. Is
there any chance of adopting CC0 for the SDL includes, macros and sample scenes?

https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/

Is there a trademark policy? Either way I would like to suggest adopting
something like the Debian trademark policy, which aims for maximum use by the
community while protecting the community from misuse of the trademarks.

http://www.debian.org/trademark

While there are probably no patent concerns, I would like to point out Debian's
patent policy and patent FAQ.

http://www.debian.org/reports/patent-faq
http://www.debian.org/legal/patent

Post a reply to this message

> Currently POV-Ray is copyright by Persistence of Vision Raytracer Pty. Ltd. and
> the code is licensed under the AGPLv3+, the docs are CC-BY-NC-SA-2.5 and the SDL
> includes, macros and sample scenes etc are CC-BY-SA-3.0. POV-Ray Ltd owns the
> trademarks 'POV-Ray', 'Persistence of Vision Ray Tracer', and 'POV-Team'. As far
> as I can tell there are no patent concerns.
>
> https://www.gnu.org/licenses/agpl-3.0.html
> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-nc-sa/2.5/
> https://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/3.0/

PLEASE BE AWARE that the licenses used by POV-Ray 3.7 for the
accompanying files differ on a file-by-file basis: While complex sample
scenes are typically distributed under a CC BY-SA license, simple sample
scenes are typically distributed under a CC BY license, and include
files are typically distributed under a CC BY-ND license.

> I have some questions about that situation:

Chris Cason can provide more details about the situation, and can speak
for POV-Ray Ltd, but as a contributor I might be able to shed a bit of
light on your questions already.

> Will copyright assignment to POV-Ray Ltd be required for contributing to
> POV-Ray?
>
> Are there any other requirements for contributions to the new AGPLv3 POV-Ray?
>
> Is there a contributor agreement? Is there any guarantee that code contributions
> will remain under the AGPLv3+ or other FLOSS licenses?

When I joined the dev team some years ago there was indeed a contributor
agreement to be signed. It required agreement that POV-Ray Ltd. could
distribute my contributions under /both/ the old POV-Ray license /and/
the AGPL. The old POV-Ray license was still relevant back then, but the
decision to move towards AGPL had already been made.

Chris took great pains to get the license transitions straight,
contacting all the past contributors to get their ok for the license
transition (to my knowledge this included all contributors, regardless
of whether they had signed a contributor agreements or not); wherever
the ok was denied, or could not be obtained for other reasons, care was
taken to replace or remove the respective portions of the source code,
scene files or whatever other portion of POV-Ray. If POV-Ray should ever
undergo another licensing transition to an incompatible license, I would
expect similar proceedings.

IANAL, but with POV-Ray now being placed under the AGPL, it appears to
me that there is now another route available for contributions which
does not require any signed agreement: Change the code, and distribute
the changed code back to the dev team under the AGPL yourself; they can
then freely use it as part of POV-Ray as long as POV-Ray remains under
the AGPL.

> What are POV-Ray Ltd plans for license enforcement?

They sue your ass off if you don't comply :-)

Seriously, POV-Ray Ltd. has fought some lawsuits against license
violators in the past (stuff like commercial products silently using
POV-Ray as their rendering engine and hiding the fact) and thrown quite
some money at them. I guess with the transition to AGPL they'd also
happily call in airstrikes from the FSF.

Post a reply to this message

> PLEASE BE AWARE that the licenses used by POV-Ray 3.7 for the
> accompanying files differ on a file-by-file basis: While complex sample
> scenes are typically distributed under a CC BY-SA license, simple sample
> scenes are typically distributed under a CC BY license, and include
> files are typically distributed under a CC BY-ND license.

I was going by what was listed in the README.md, I guess that needs updating.
However I can't see any mention of the CC-BY-ND license in the git repository so
I'm not sure if you are correct there. The only mention of the CC-BY-NC-SA
license is in the README.md so maybe that is incorrect and should be fixed.
Looking at the files themselves, the includes appear to be all CC-BY-SA-3.0 or
have no copyright/license header.

Looking at the output of Debian's licensecheck script, I note there are some
files still under the old POV-Ray licence in unix/scripts/, I guess that was an
oversight.

> When I joined the dev team some years ago there was indeed a contributor
> agreement to be signed. It required agreement that POV-Ray Ltd. could
> distribute my contributions under /both/ the old POV-Ray license /and/
> the AGPL. The old POV-Ray license was still relevant back then, but the
> decision to move towards AGPL had already been made.

Makes sense.

> Chris took great pains to get the license transitions straight,
> contacting all the past contributors to get their ok for the license
> transition (to my knowledge this included all contributors, regardless
> of whether they had signed a contributor agreements or not); wherever
> the ok was denied, or could not be obtained for other reasons, care was
> taken to replace or remove the respective portions of the source code,
> scene files or whatever other portion of POV-Ray. If POV-Ray should ever
> undergo another licensing transition to an incompatible license, I would
> expect similar proceedings.

Hmm, you seem to be saying that the individuals who wrote the code still own
copyright on that code but as far as I can tell, ignoring the embedded code
copies of external projects, the headers in the code mostly say Copyright
POV-Ray Ltd. There are some files with no copyright/license header and some with
additional copyright holders though but most of the codebase appears to be owned
by POV-Ray Ltd.

About the files without copyright/license information:

http://tieguy.org/blog/2012/03/17/on-the-importance-of-per-file-license-information/

> IANAL, but with POV-Ray now being placed under the AGPL, it appears to
> me that there is now another route available for contributions which
> does not require any signed agreement: Change the code, and distribute
> the changed code back to the dev team under the AGPL yourself; they can
> then freely use it as part of POV-Ray as long as POV-Ray remains under
> the AGPL.

Indeed. This would only work if they aren't planning a contributor agreement
that allows them to relicense code under any license, including proprietary
ones. This is what some companies do, for example Canonical:

http://www.canonical.com/contributors

> They sue your ass off if you don't comply :-)
>
> Seriously, POV-Ray Ltd. has fought some lawsuits against license
> violators in the past (stuff like commercial products silently using
> POV-Ray as their rendering engine and hiding the fact) and thrown quite
> some money at them. I guess with the transition to AGPL they'd also
> happily call in airstrikes from the FSF.

Good to hear.

Post a reply to this message