POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : One more time: tessellation? Server Time
29 Jul 2024 10:26:12 EDT (-0400)
  One more time: tessellation? (Message 11 to 13 of 13)
From: Thomas de Groot
Subject: Re: One more time: tessellation?
Date: 27 Nov 2012 03:12:33
Message: <50b475f1$1@news.povray.org>
On 26-11-2012 22:27, Patrick Elliott wrote:
> Makes you seriously wonder, do these people not use anything else, or
> ever tried cheaper/free alternatives? Sigh...

Probably not... and/or they are jealously single minded about their own
proprietary app.

Thomas

Post a reply to this message

From: gregjohn
Date: 11 Dec 2012 14:05:00
Message: <web.50c7838bc315881c47b8a80e0@news.povray.org>
Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:

>    The idea is that you have that reaaally nice and complex CSG,
> isosurface, or any other non-mesh object, and you want to use it into
> the physics simulation. Currently you are out of luck if it can't be
> approximated with simple collision shapes, but even the most basic and
> ugly tessellation will do a pretty god job in obtaining something that
> will act as the "real thing" on the simulation...
>
>    OMG, I'm already drooling!

Am I missing something, or can't you already use the eval_pigment, then test it
against a volumetric grid of any precision you desire.

#macro eval_pigment(pigm, vec)
    #local fn = function { pigment { pigm } }
    #local result = (fn(vec.x, vec.y, vec.z));
    result
#end

Post a reply to this message

> Jaime Vives Piqueres <jai### [at] ignoranciaorg> wrote:
>>
>>     The idea is that you have that reaaally nice and complex CSG,
>> isosurface, or any other non-mesh object, and you want to use it into
>> the physics simulation. Currently you are out of luck if it can't be
>> approximated with simple collision shapes, but even the most basic and
>> ugly tessellation will do a pretty god job in obtaining something that
>> will act as the "real thing" on the simulation...
>>
>>     OMG, I'm already drooling!
>>

> Am I missing something, or can't you already use the eval_pigment, then test it
> against a volumetric grid of any precision you desire.
>

> #macro eval_pigment(pigm, vec)
>      #local fn = function { pigment { pigm } }
>      #local result = (fn(vec.x, vec.y, vec.z));
>      result
> #end

  Yeah... but I would have to know what to do with the resulting points.
I prefer to have tessellation implemented in POV just as in LeForgeron
experiments: that would be very handy.

--
Jaime