POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : Raytracing - my story Server Time
29 Jul 2024 18:18:06 EDT (-0400)
  Raytracing - my story (Message 11 to 15 of 15)
From: Leroy Whetstone
Subject: Re: Raytracing - my story
Date: 6 Mar 2011 12:50:32
Message: <4D73C925.6070809@joplin.com>
Christian Froeschlin wrote:
> Was this from the 1992 Mars Digital Terrain Model? With Mars Express
> and Mars Reconnaisance Orbiter there are now better data available, no
> global coverage though.

This is from the Read me file of the zip the one of the image files I have:
    m46 - Global Mars planet imagery (c)2004
    February 05, 2004 preliminary release

    This map come from www.space-graphics.com

     Please note that this is a preliminary version a may contain
      bugs of any kind.

     Usage License
     This image is distributed as FREEWARE for Personal use only
     NO Commercial use or Commercial redistribution allowed in any form

     For more information:

     site url: http://www.space-graphics.com
     e-mail: inf### [at] space-graphicscom
I have 3 maps from there. The web site is gone or taken over.
A couple of more I don't know where they came from.

> Dang ... there went my evening ;) There are lots of strips for HRSC of
> Mars Express and a few local mosaics. Best resolution up to 50m/pixel.
> Didn't yet find any dtm level data products for MRO. I spent most of
> the time converting a vicar file to png - ImageMagick can do it but
> returned an 8 bit png with alternating Hi/Lo bytes. It also interlaced
> the left and right half of the image in odd/even lines.

Think I used I veiw32 to flip some of the maps so they would render on
POV correctly.

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 6 Mar 2011 13:11:19
Message: <4D73CE06.1040109@joplin.com>

> High!
> At 8-bit grayscale or at 16-bit vertical resolution?
it was 8-bit gray scale.

>I recently wrote a
> PoV-Ray script that generates 16-bit heightfields (and, after this, also
> curved mesh2s) from SRTM Earth altimetry data processed with 3DEM (a
> geographical visualization software)... if I remember correctly, 3DEM is
> also able to process ASCII terrain matrizes from MOLA Mars (Mars Global
> Surveyor) topography data!

I have use the DEM for earth. Its been awhile.
There was a conversion program that make an image map from Dem data. I
had to tweak it to make it work.

> And since a few years, there are also topographical contour maps of Mars
> at 1:250,000 available...

Looks like I have my next project!

> Won't you like to post some of these images on p.b.i.?

I think I will. What would you like Area views, cut views, landscape views?

Have Fun!

Post a reply to this message

From: Jörg 'Yadgar' Bleimann
Date: 6 Mar 2011 15:31:03
Message: <4d73ef07$1@news.povray.org>
High!

Am 06.03.2011 19:10, schrieb Leroy Whetstone:

> I think I will. What would you like Area views, cut views, landscape views?

Hmmm... what about early morning in Noctis Labyrinthus, with the sun
rising above foggy chasms?

Or the southern escarpment of the base of Olympus Mons?
Or Charitum Montes, on the southern edge of Argyre Planitia?

See you in Khyberspace!

Yadgar

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 6 Mar 2011 17:56:28
Message: <4D7410DB.2080607@joplin.com>
I found the place to load the maps:
http://planetpixelemporium.com/mars.html

Post a reply to this message

From: Leroy Whetstone
Date: 8 Mar 2011 14:45:59
Message: <4D768730.4020305@joplin.com>
I put a few images in the BPs Images. I had them scattered all over my
hard drive. While I was going through the old Mars POVs I found better
ways of doing things. They where wrote in 2005?!